Watermelon Feta Salad
August 08, 2023
Crisp, juicy, and refreshingly sweet, watermelon is one of the best perks of summer. Just the mere mention of this delicious fruit conjures images of cozy picnic spreads set out on grassy lawns, children laughing and splashing each other playfully in the pool, and lazy days spent building sandcastles or searching for coral-colored seashells at the beach. The picture wouldn’t be complete without a ripe pink slice of watermelon to cool you down in the scorching summer sun.
This vibrant Watermelon Feta Salad provides all the perks of summer’s favorite fruit, like keeping you hydrated, in a more complex and sophisticated dish. Briny feta contrasts the sweetness of the melon cubes, with pungent vinegar brightening the dish and sweet, peppery basil awakening the palate. The whole dish comes together with a light, easy homemade dressing made by whisking honey and seasonings into a mix of our Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil and vinegar. Bring this summery salad to your next potluck and we bet everyone will be asking you for the recipe!
Watermelon Feta Salad
Watermelon slices on their own are great, but the sweet flavor tastes even better when paired with briny cheese and fresh herbs. Made with cubed watermelon, salty feta, cucumbers, and mint or basil, this light and refreshing salad will help you keep cool and stay hydrated on hot summer days.
- 6 cups cubed watermelon
- 2 chopped medium cucumbers (about 2 cups)
¾ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 5 ounces crumbled sheep feta
¼ cup shredded basil
3 tablespoons Primal Kitchen Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼+ teaspoon salt
- Additional basil or mint, for garnish
In a small bowl, combine the red wine vinegar, honey, pepper, garlic, and salt.
- Whisk in the olive oil until well-combined.
- Add the cucumbers and red onion and let it sit in the dressing for about 15-20 minutes.
- In the meantime, cut the watermelon into ¾-inch cubes. Place the cubed watermelon in a large bowl.
- Pour the cucumber and onion mixture on top. Add the feta and basil and gently fold together. Add additional salt and pepper to taste as needed.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Serve topped with fresh basil leaves, and enjoy!
- If you want the dressing to permeate the cucumbers more, you can slice them thinly instead of chopping them. You can peel the cucumbers or leave the skin on.
- Mint would be a good substitute for basil. Start with half the amount (2 tablespoons) and add more to taste.
- Nutrition information calculated using Cronometer.
- Serving Size
- 1 serving
- per serving
- 19.5 grams
- 18.1 grams
- 8.2 grams
You might also like these other salad recipes: