High in protein and only seven ingredients, this chicken thigh recipe cooked in a cast iron skillet can be a weeknight savior when you're short on time, patience, and ingredients. The secret to this chicken thigh recipe? Well, there's two: Use a cast iron skillet because it conducts heat evenly and can be transferred from the stove to oven, and brown the chicken skin first on the stove before blanketing with fuss-free jarred No-Dairy Vodka Sauce and finishing the cooking in the oven. Serve this humble chicken dinner with cooked cauliflower rice, zoodles, or steamed or roasted vegetables.
Chicken Thighs with No-Dairy Vodka Sauce in a Cast Iron Skillet
Time: 30 minutes
- 2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs, skin-on*
- 2 tablespoons Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 10 cloves garlic, skins removed
- 1 jar Primal Kitchen No-Dairy Vodka Sauce
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme
*You can also use a mixture of chicken thighs and chicken drumsticks
- Preheat oven to 475ºF.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add avocado oil to the skillet.
- Place skin-on chicken thighs (or mixture of chicken thighs and drumsticks) in the skillet. Allow to cook, undisturbed, for 5 minutes on one side or until the skin is lightly bronzed. Turn over to brown on the other side for another 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, then turn chicken pieces over and season the other side with salt and pepper as well.
- Turn stove off and pour in the entire jar of No-Dairy Vodka Sauce. Add peeled garlic cloves to the skillet, and place sprigs of thyme on top of the chicken pieces.
- Use a hot pad to grasp the skillet by the handle. Put the skillet in the middle oven rack. Cook chicken for 20 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken pieces reaches 165ºF, and the juices run clear.
- Remove the skillet from the oven with a hot pad. Serve chicken with the roasted garlic and extra sauce from the skillet.
Nutrition Info (per serving; 2 chicken thighs):
Carbs: 18 grams
Fat: 42 grams
Protein: 49 grams
Nutrition information calculated using Cronometer.
You might like these other chicken recipes: