Summer salads offer saving grace during intensely warm and often humid days and evenings when even air conditioning and a fan doesn't seem to make the kitchen cool enough for you to turn on the oven or stove. Raw, fresh produce arranged artfully on a plate and dressed with punchy vinaigrettes can keep you feeling refreshed and satisfied all season long. The key to creating an interesting Big-Ass Salad that you'll want to eat (and maybe even share) again and again: Pick flavors and textures that contrast but also compliment one another. Get inspiration from classic flavor and texture pairings such as salty and sweet, creamy and crunchy, salty and spicy, or soft and crispy.
Our Whole30 and vegan watermelon salad with mint and balsamic pairs soft, sun-sweetened fresh strawberries with snappy, lightly bitter and palette-cleansing cucumber. The fresh mint adds the chewy bite of a hearty green like kale, but imparts a slightly sweet anise flavor that is heightened by the acidic yet smooth flavor of the balsamic vinaigrette. If you're able to tolerate dairy and want a non-vegan version of this stunning salad, add 1/3 cup of crumbled feta cheese for salty, sharp bite and creamy contrast.
Whole30 & Vegan Watermelon Strawberry Salad with Balsamic and Mint
Time: 10 minutes
- 16 large strawberries, sliced
- 1/2 English cucumber, sliced into half moons
- 4 cups watermelon, diced with seeds removed
- 1/3 cup fresh mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons Primal Kitchen Balsamic Vinaigrette & Marinade
- Arrange all ingredients on a large plate.
- Drizzle salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette & Marinade. Enjoy!
Nutrition info (per serving):
Carbs: 57 grams
Fat: 13 grams
Protein: 5 grams
Nutrition information calculated using Cronometer.
*If you aren't vegan or Whole30 and can tolerate dairy, you can add about 1/3 cup of crumbled feta cheese to the salad to add salty, creamy contrast to the sweet watermelon and mint. Adding 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese adds 217 calories, 3 grams of carbs, 18 grams of fat, and 12 grams of protein to the salad.
You might also like these other salad recipes:
- Whole30 Spicy Shrimp Salad
- Keto Vegan Rainbow Salad
- Keto Macro Bowl
- Keto Caprese Salad
- Keto Kale Salad with Avocado Oil & Vinegar Dressing
- Chicken Citrus Salad with Lemon Turmeric Vinaigrette
- Thousand Island Kale & Radish Salad