This isn't an average grilled chicken recipe—it starts with a punchy, memorable homemade dry rub that's Whole30, keto, and Primal/paleo—gets cooked through in the oven, brushed with Whole30 Approved Hawaiian barbecue sauce, and placed on a hot grill to develop a crisp charred exterior. Made with salt, seven spices, and decaffeinated coffee granules, our Whole30 dry rub seasoning mix works beautifully on just about anything... from poultry to beef to cauliflower and eggplant, you can use all summer long to season any food you'd like to roast, bake, or grill.
We coat the chicken pieces in the Whole30 dry rub first, then bake the chicken in the oven in order to ensure even cooking. Then we baste the chicken with Whole30 barbecue sauce before placing on the grill to char—if you coat the chicken pieces with barbecue sauce before cooking it in the oven, the sauce would burn and turn bitter rather than develop the lightly charred flavor that only a grill can provide.
Whole30 Coffee Dry Rub
Time: 5 minutes
- 1 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt
- 1 heaping tablespoon organic garlic powder
- 1 heaping tablespoon organic onion powder
- 1 heaping tablespoon organic ground coriander
- 1 heaping teaspoon organic ground thyme
- 1 heaping teaspoon organic sage – rubbed
- 1 heaping teaspoon organic ground paprika
- 1 heaping teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons ground organic decaf coffee
- Place all of the ingredients above into a small mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- If you want to double or triple this recipe to make extra dry rub, store the dry rub in a resealable bag, small mason jar with lid, or airtight spice jar.
Nutrition info (per serving):
Carbs: 19 grams
Fat: 1 gram
Protein: 3 grams
Whole30 BBQ Chicken with Coffee Dry Rub & Hawaiian BBQ Sauce
Time: 70 minutes
- 4 pounds chicken pieces (we used skin-on)
- 2 tablespoons Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil, plus more for oiling the grill
- 1 serving Whole30 Coffee Dry Rub (see recipe above)
- 1 jar Primal Kitchen Hawaiian BBQ Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the refrigerator and the packaging, and place the chicken on a baking sheet. Allow the chicken to come to room temperature (about 15 minutes).
- Drizzle the outside of all of the chicken pieces with avocado oil. Season the chicken pieces generously with the Whole30 Coffee Dry Rub, and use your (clean) hands to rub the dry rub into the outside of all of the chicken pieces.
- Slide the baking sheet into the oven. Bake the chicken for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat up your grill.
- Pour a little avocado oil into a small bowl. Dip a clean kitchen towel into the oil. Pick up the towel with tongs, and rub it over your grill grate. You don't want to drench the grill grate in oil; a little bit will do to keep the chicken from sticking.
- Remove the chicken, and turn off the oven.
- Pour the Primal Kitchen Hawaiian BBQ Sauce into a bowl. Take a brush and dip into the BBQ sauce, and coat each piece of chicken thoroughly with the sauce. Go back for a second or third coat, if desired. Note: Use tongs to handle the chicken; it'll be hot just out of the oven.
- Place the chicken pieces on the grill grate. Cook for 5 minutes, covered.
- Open the grill and, using tongs, turn the chicken pieces over. Cook for 5 minutes on the other side.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and place on a plate. The chicken is cooked all the way through when a heat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat reads 165ºF for breast, and 170ºF for thighs.
Nutrition info (per serving):
Carbs: 20 grams
Fat: 45 grams
Protein: 88 grams
Nutrition information calculated using Cronometer.
You might also like these other chicken recipes: