Redolent of the sun-soaked isle of Capri where it originated, caprese salad epitomizes the essence of the country’s culinary sensibilities: Use the freshest real ingredients, arrange them artfully on a plate, and let them shine. When such perfect creations exist, it seems disrespectful to alter their natural states with cooking acrobatics or even the introduction of heat. Similar to the humble restraint demonstrated by a Japanese sushi chef, the notion of serving local whole foods as simply as possible is one of the tenants of the Slow Food Movement that started in Italy in the 1980s.
This keto caprese salad embraces natural beauty, accentuating it only with a scatter of salt and fresh black pepper and high-quality extra virgin olive oil. The sweet, juicy burst of a vine-ripened tomato, the subtle creaminess and weepiness of very fresh cheese, the licorice sweetness of just-picked basil leaves topped with rich, lightly briny extra virgin olive oil makes a delicate, balanced, nuanced forkful.
Keto Caprese Salad
Time: 5 minutes
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced into ¼-inch disks
- 14 basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon Primal Kitchen Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Arrange tomato and cheese slices on a plate.
- Tuck basil leaves in between the slices of tomato and cheese.
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil evenly on top of salad, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Nutritional information (per serving):
Carbs: 10 grams
Net Carbs: 7.7 grams
Fat: 42 grams
Protein: 26 grams
Nutritional information calculated using Cronometer.
You might also like these other keto recipes: