A throwback appetizer or starter often served at traditional weddings, office party buffets, and hotel cocktail receptions, shrimp cocktail is the classic pairing of boiled, blushing tail-on shrimp and ruby, horseradish-rich cocktail sauce. When just-cooked so the meat is tender and not rubbery, the shrimp have a slightly sweet flavor and sturdy consistency that stands up well to dunking in the tomato-thick, nose-tickling spicy sauce that accompanies it.
We made a spicy spin on this classic combo with Whole30-Approved Primal Kitchen Cocktail Sauce, plump shrimp, and a simple salad with diced jalapeños. The creamy, fatty avocado slices allow the kicky cocktail sauce and sweet shrimp to linger on your tongue a bit for lasting satisfaction.
Want to learn how to make tasty, restaurant-style salads at home?
Get 7 days of FREE salad recipes, instructional videos, tips and tricks, downloadable bonuses, and more! Sign Up for the 7 Days, 7 Salads Challenge.
Whole30 Spicy Shrimp Salad
Time: 5–15 minutes (5 if using already cooked shrimp)
- 3 ounces medium shrimp, deveined, peeled, and cooked (about 10–12 pieces)
- 1/4 cup Primal Kitchen Cocktail Sauce
- 1 small head butter lettuce, washed, dried, and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 stalk celery, chopped into pieces
- 6 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, diced (de-seeded if you like it less spicy)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Primal Kitchen Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 avocado, cut into quarters
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 2 lime wedges
- Place the cooked shrimp in a bowl. Pour the cocktail sauce over the shrimp. Stir well to combine.
- Place the lettuce, celery, tomatoes, and jalapeño peppers in a large bowl. Drizzle salad with fresh lime juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss to combine.
- Add avocado quarters to the salad, and sprinkle with fresh chopped cilantro. Tumble the shrimp on top of the salad.
- Serve salad with lime wedges, and enjoy!
Nutritional info (per serving):
Carbs: 26 grams
Fat: 36 grams
Protein: 19 grams
Nutritional information calculated using Cronometer.
You might also like these other Whole30 recipes:
- Whole30 Teriyaki Shrimp and Pineapple Stir-fry
- Whole30 Lunch and Dinner Recipes
- Whole30 Instant Pot Ranch Chicken
- Whole30 Lasagna
- Whole30 Macro Bowl
- Turkey Club Lettuce Wraps