Queso Chicken (Pollo con Queso)
July 18, 2023
One of the most accessible and easy-to-make Mexican-inspired dishes, Pollo con Queso is a simple staple that combines melted cheese, chicken, and salsa in a single pan that's finished off in the oven. For those who don’t eat dairy, it’s typically off the menu unless they skip the “queso” part altogether, but luckily, we have a savory alternative to missing out on your fave cheesy skillet chicken.
Our version is made with plant-based Primal Kitchen Queso Dip for a chicken dish that has all of the creamy texture and lip-smacking-good flavor of the original, sans the dairy ingredients. You’ll need an oven-safe skillet for this recipe, so now’s the time to break out your cast iron pan or invest in a good Dutch oven that can withstand high heat. Since Queso Chicken typically includes flavored rice, serve our version over cauliflower rice for a similar but gluten-free take on the classic. This recipe also pairs great with grain-free tortillas or plantain chips!
Chicken con Queso
Our delicious no-dairy twist on a popular Mexican dish is made with chicken breasts, a variety of spices and veggies, and Primal Kitchen's creamy, plant-based Queso Dip (or Spicy Queso Dip if you like a little extra heat). Cooked in an oven-safe skillet or Dutch oven and topped with fresh sliced avocado and jalapeños, it's a winner of a chicken dinner.
2.5 pounds chicken breast, cut into ¾” chunks
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- ½ tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
3 tablespoons Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers (assorted colors)
- 1-2 teaspoons tapioca starch
- ¼ cup salsa verde
- 2-3 tablespoons water or broth (or more if needed)
- Chopped onion
Chopped bell peppers or jalapeños
- Avocado slices
Lime wedge, for squeezing
For the toppings:
Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- In a bowl, toss the chicken chunks with the paprika, garlic, chili powder, oregano, salt, cumin and black pepper until the chicken is coated on all sides.
- Heat a large oven-safe skillet with 1.5 tablespoons of oil on your stovetop over medium heat. Once hot, add the onions and peppers. Saute for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions and peppers are soft.
- Add the remaining oil and then add the chicken in a single layer. Allow the chicken to sear for about 3 minutes on each side. Add a teaspoon of tapioca starch and stir so all of the chicken is coated.
- Pour the queso into the skillet. Add a tablespoon or two of water or broth to each jar and shake to remove any leftover queso on the sides of the jar and pour into the skillet. Add the salsa verde and stir until everything is combined. If the sauce looks too thin, you can add additional tapioca starch.
- Transfer the skillet to the oven for about 20 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened and bubbling and the chicken is fully cooked through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Top with chopped peppers, onions, tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, jalapeños, and lime wedge.
- Don't need a big batch? Halve the recipe and use a smaller skillet.
- Nutrition information calculated using Cronometer.
- Serving Size
- 1 serving
- per serving
- 10.3 grams
- 10.6 grams
- 28.8 grams
You might also like these other dinner recipes: