Chicken and rice is a classic, easy dinner dish that’s kid-friendly and super easy to switch up anytime you want more adventurous flavor. This recipe was made as a dinner for one, but it can be easily doubled, tripled, and so on to accommodate more mouths. In this Mediterranean version of chicken and rice, we use two Primal Kitchen vinaigrettes and marinades to add herby, slightly sweet flavor to the chicken, and cook the chicken with rich, clean-tasting avocado oil. We keep the carbs low by subbing cauliflower rice instead of regular rice, and bump up the flavor and texture with sweet, chewy sun-dried tomatoes, briny, salty olives, and sharp, creamy feta cheese. Garnish with a few torn fresh basil leaves for a palette-cleansing hint of anise, and enjoy the Italian-Greek mashup.
Mediterranean Chicken with Cauliflower Rice
Time: 1 hour, 42 minutes
- 1 cooked chicken thigh or breast
- 2 tablespoons Primal Kitchen Balsamic Vinaigrette & Marinade
- 1 tablespoon Primal Kitchen Italian Vinaigrette & Marinade
- 1 tablespoon Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil
- 1 cup cauliflower rice
- 1/2 sliced tomato, optional
- 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon pitted olives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese, optional
- 4–6 leaves fresh basil, torn, optional
- Salt and pepper, to taste
How to prepare the chicken...
- Place the chicken in a bowl and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Pour about 1 tablespoon of Primal Kitchen Balsamic Vinaigrette & Marinade, plus 1 tablespoon of Primal Kitchen Italian Vinaigrette & Marinade on top.
- Flip the chicken so it gets coated in dressing on the other side too.
- Place in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- When chicken has finished marinating, remove from refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature on the counter (about 10 minutes).
- Heat an indoor grill pan or cast-iron skillet to medium-high. Add 2 teaspoons of Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil to the pan.
- Cook chicken thigh for about 6 minutes per side, and chicken breast for about 7 minutes per side (depending on how thick your chicken pieces are). Cooked chicken should register 165ºF on a meat thermometer when inserted into the thickest part of the meat.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and allow to rest on a cutting board for 5-10 minutes. Slice chicken into bite-sized pieces.
How to prepare the cauliflower rice...
- In a small skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 teaspoon of Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil. Add riced cauliflower and cook for about 6–7 minutes, stirring often.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
Assemble the meal...
- Add cauliflower rice to a bowl or plate.
- Top with tomatoes, olives, cheese (if using), sliced chicken, and fresh basil (if using).
- Drizzle with 1 tablespoon (or however much you’d like!) Primal Kitchen Balsamic Vinaigrette & Marinade.
Nutritional Info (entire recipe: 1 serving):
Carbs: 15 grams
Fat: 51 grams
Protein: 38 grams
Nutritional information calculated using Cronometer. Nutritional information calculated using 4 oz. of skin-on chicken thigh as well as 2 tablespoons of feta cheese and 3 wedges of tomato.
You might also like these other chicken dinner recipes: