The culinary equivalent of a momma bear hug, Chicago-style deep dish pizza nests its toppings in a sturdy bowl of crust whose walls wrap protectively around the oozing, oven-sizzled ingredients that are blanketed protectively by a chunky layer of red pizza sauce. Its comfort is thick, deep, and layered. Unlike the shoulder-tap-for-two-seconds hug delivered by a thin-crust pizza, the deep dish pizza grabs your attention on first sight with its sheer size and heft before nuzzling you in a warm embrace as you bite into its layers, fork and knife required.
Perfect cool-temperature food, our deep dish pizza recipe includes a grain-free crust, keto-friendly toppings, and unsweetened red pizza sauce baked in a cast iron skillet. Our deep dish pizza recipe takes about an hour to prep and bake so you can have a homemade Friday night pizza and movie night ready in a reasonable amount of time.
Deep Dish Pizza Recipe (Grain-Free)
Time: 1 hour
Grain-Free Deep Dish Pizza Crust Ingredients
- 2 cups tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 4 Tbsp. Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil
- 1 tsp. dried Italian herbs
- 1 cup water, recently boiled
Grain-Free Deep Dish Pizza Ingredients
- 1 lb. Italian sausage (your choice of spicy or sweet)
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup bell peppers, diced (any color)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded or sliced
- 3 cups (1 jar) Primal Kitchen Unsweetened Pizza Sauce
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- Place a 12-inch cast iron skillet in the oven and preheat the oven to 425ºF. Leave the skillet in the oven for 10 minutes after the oven has preheated.
To make the pizza crust:
- Place the flours, eggs, salt, dried herbs, and 3 Tbsp. of avocado oil into a blender or food processor. Pour in 1 cup of hot water. Process until smooth. Let the mixture sit in the blender for 10 minutes.
Continue prepping the pizza...
- In the meantime, in a skillet over medium-high heat on the stove, remove the Italian sausage from its casings and heat in the skillet. Break up any large clumps of sausage and cook until browned. When browned, remove from the skillet to a plate and set aside. Turn off the stove.
- Remove the skillet from the oven with oven mitts. Add 1 Tbsp. of avocado oil to the skillet and swirl it around to coat the skillet. Pour the dough into the hot skillet and spread it out evenly with a spatula.
- Put the pizza dough in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pizza crust from the oven, and add the sausage, mushrooms, bell peppers, and cheese. Spoon on the pizza sauce over the toppings and spread out with a spatula.
- Place the pizza back into the oven and cook for another 20 minutes. Remove the pizza and place the basil leaves on top of the pizza sauce. Bake for another 5 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling. Remove the skillet from the oven, and allow to cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
Nutrition info (per serving):
Carbs: 39 grams
Fat: 34 grams
Protein: 21 grams
Nutrition info calculated using Cronometer.
You might also like these other pizza recipes: