In the mood for a savory, meat and veggie-filled Shepherd’s Pie? Primal Kitchen®’s version of this comfort-food, St. Patrick’s Day classic was inspired by The Real Food Dietitians, topped off with sweet potatoes and packed with Whole30-Approved ingredients. Check out the full recipe below with ground bison, sautéed veggies in Extra Virgin Avocado Oil and herbs that come together to help you celebrate your inner Irishman.
BISON SHEPHERD'S PIE WITH PETERSON'S NATURAL FARMS
- 1 pound Pederson’s Natural Farms Ground Bison
- 2 tablespoon Primal Kitchen Extra Virgin Avocado Oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons rosemary
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 2 teaspoons marjoram
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons of butter or ghee
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400-degrees.
- In a large pot of boiling water, add cubed sweet potatoes. Cook sweet potatoes until soft.
- In a medium sauté pan, add Extra Virgin Avocado Oil. Add chopped onion, diced carrots, chopped pepper and garlic. Cook on medium heat until onions are translucent.
- In the pan of sautéed veggies, add spices and ground bison, brown the meat. Pour mixture of meat and veggies into oven-safe pan. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a blender, add soft cubed sweet potatoes and butter or ghee. Blend until smooth. Spread sweet potato over the meat and veggie mixture.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until top of sweet potatoes are golden or crisp.