Whipped Hot Cocoa
October 26, 2020
Borrowing from its cousin, the whipped coffee (aka Dalgona coffee), whipped hot cocoa is a trendy mashup that's half warm beverage and half cool whipped cocoa-flavored topping. The chocolate-flavored whipped cream cloaks your tongue with a rich cloud of cocoa mixed with a couple of crunchy bits of cacao nibs and perhaps a vanilla-flavored marshmallow before you wash it away with warmed almond milk. We used unsweetened almond milk, cream, cocoa powder, and keto-friendly mini marshmallows sweetened with xylitol and monk fruit, but you can use any variety of ingredients you like. Make this a mocha by using drip coffee mixed with warmed or steamed almond milk, then top with the whipped hot cocoa cream. The contrasting temperatures and textures, and the slight bitter acidity of the coffee will accentuate the velvety, slightly bitter notes in the cocoa.
Whipped Hot Cocoa Recipe
Time: 10 minutes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 scoops (or 2 packets) Primal Kitchen Collagen Fuel® - Chocolate
- 1 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 12 mini marshmallows (keto-friendly or sugar-free if desired)*
- 2 Tbsp. cacao nibs
*We used Know Brainer Max Mallow Keto Marshmallows
- Place almond milk in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Bring to a slight simmer for 2 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, pour cold heavy cream into a bowl. Add Collagen Fuel and cocoa powder to the cream. Whip, starting on low speed, for 6–7 minutes, or until cream resembles stiff peaks.
- Pour half of the warmed almond milk into one mug, and half into another.
- Add a few dollops of the whipped cocoa cream on top of each mug. Add 6 mini marshmallows and about 1 Tbsp. cacao nibs on top of each mug.
Nutrition info (per serving):
Carbs: 33 grams
Fat: 54 grams
Protein: 21 grams
Nutrition info calculated using Cronometer.
You may also like these other whipped drinks: