Keto salmon burgers are a modern spin on the classic fast food breaded fish burger with tartar sauce. You know the one... thickly floured, deep-fried cod smeared with tartar sauce, and topped with chopped dill pickles and a slice of American cheese, then sandwiched by a white seedless hamburger bun. Instead of waiting in the drive-thru line to get the fast food fish sandwich, you could probably make our keto salmon burger recipe in just as much time as it would take you to wait in line and get back home (or faster?).
We think there's no side-by-side taste test needed: Our keto salmon burgers are made with three flavor-bursting ingredients: Rosemary Garlic Mayo, Dijon Mustard, and Tartar Sauce. Lightly dusted with flax meal, pan-fried until golden on the outside and tender on the inside, and served on top of a fresh bed of baby greens with thick, juicy slices of tomato, pungent red onions, creamy avocado slices, and spritzed with bright fresh lemon juice, our keto salmon burgers are then sauced with creamy, cool, dill-spiked tartar sauce.
Keep the ingredients for these salmon burgers on hand in your kitchen—we used canned salmon to make our burgers. They're wonderful for meal prep (cooked extra burgers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4–5 days) and make a wonderfully welcome switch-up to keto-friendly beef, chicken, or bison burgers.
Keto Salmon Burgers with Tartar Sauce
Time: 1 hour and 20 minutes
- 1 6-ounce can of wild pink salmon
- 1/4 cup Primal Kitchen Rosemary Garlic Vegan Mayo
- 1 teaspoon Primal Kitchen Dijon Mustard
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup flax meal, divided into 1/4 cup portions
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil
- 2 cups baby Romaine or Bibb lettuce
- 4 slices tomato
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 12 thin slices red onion
- 1/4 cup Primal Kitchen Tartar Sauce, for serving
- 4 lemon wedges, for serving
How to Cook Salmon Burgers
- Open the canned salmon and drain the water inside. Place the drained salmon in a large mixing bowl. Break up any big chunks of salmon with a fork.
- Add the mayo, mustard, egg, 1/4 cup of flax meal, salt, pepper, and parsley to the bowl. Stir to combine.
- Shape the salmon mixture into 4 burgers. Dust the outside of each burger with additional flax meal to coat. Place the burgers on a plate and refrigerate for an hour before cooking (this will help the burgers stay together and not fall apart during cooking).
- Remove the burgers from the refrigerator and place on the counter for 10 minutes to come to room temperature.
- Place a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Add avocado oil and allow to warm. Place salmon burgers in the skillet. Cook burgers for 4–5 minutes, then flip and cook for 4–5 minutes on the other side.
- Serve the salmon burgers on top of the simple green salad with a couple of avocado slices, lemon wedges, and about 2 tablespoons of tartar sauce.
Pro tip: If you haven't opened your jar of Primal Kitchen Tartar Sauce yet, place it in the refrigerator even before it's opened. The sauce will thicken when cold. If you prefer a thinner sauce, leave it out on the counter for 10–15 minutes to warm up before using.
Nutrition info (per serving: 1 salmon burger, 1/4 of the salad, 1 tablespoon tartar sauce):
Carbs: 16 grams
Net Carbs: 6 grams
Fat: 33 grams
Protein: 18 grams
Nutrition information calculated using Cronometer.
You might also like these other keto recipes: