The BLT (bacon, lettuce, tomato) sandwich may be the most serendipitous sandwich ever created—refreshing romaine provides a sturdy bed to sop up the summer sweet juices dripping from thick slices of vine-ripened ruby tomato, salty snaps of smoked pork meat and crisp fat, gilded with a thick, creamy smear of mayo. While we love the occasional slice of buttered homemade sourdough bread or finely crafted gluten-free bread as the bookends to a sandwich, we think a BLT is strong enough to stand alone, breadless. Actually, make that a BLTA because, well, Primal Kitchen did originate in California. We consume avocado pretty much like it’s a condiment, similar to how some smother sriracha or Cholua on nearly everything that’s edible. This version of a BTLA uses leftover diced chicken as a protein-rich filling for halved avocados, but the rest sticks pretty true to the classic.
BLT Chicken Salad-Stuffed Avocados
Time: 20 minutes
- 2 avocados, halved and pitted
- 2 cups diced, cooked chicken (10 ounces)
- 3/4 cup Primal Kitchen Mayo with Avocado Oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 1 romaine heart, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- In a small bowl, whisk together Primal Kitchen Mayo, lemon juice and chives.
- Pour ½ cup of the dressing over the chicken and mix well to evenly coat the chicken. Add salt to taste.
- Spread the sliced romaine and halved tomatoes out on a platter. Drizzle the remaining dressing over the lettuce and tomatoes.
- Set the avocado halves on top. Spoon chicken salad into each avocado half.
- Sprinkle crumbled bacon over the top of the chicken, avocado, lettuce and tomatoes.
Nutritional information (per serving: 1 stuffed avocado + ¼ salad):
Carbs: 15 grams
Fat: 57 grams
Protein: 46 grams
Nutritional information calculated using Cronometer.
You might also like these other recipes that use avocado: