The lure of Asian takeout—and sometimes even those stalls in mall food courts that beckon you closer with free samples on a toothpick—is real. There’s something oddly comforting and satisfying about twirling saucy noodles around chopsticks or a fork, lifting them straight out of the white box with the red pagoda on the side, and slurping a pile of them into your mouth. There’s something so undeniably tempting about the sweet, salty, umami and sometimes spicy flavors of Asian food.
We took on the challenge of remaking an Asian-fusion dish that’s comforting, satisfying, a balance of contrasting flavors and textures, and, above all, craveable. Our Asian noodle bowl uses shirataki or kelp noodles instead of grain-based noodles to add that twirly flare and both stir-fried and raw veggies add crunch and color. Kimchi excites with spice and fermented probiotic goodness, and we marinated chicken in our Sesame Ginger Dressing to impart lightly sweet, sour, spicy flavor. If you want to make this dish vegetarian, just leave out the chicken.
Asian Noodle Bowl with Chicken and Sesame Ginger Dressing
Time: 1 hour, 42 minutes
- 1 cooked chicken thigh, marinated in Primal Kitchen Sesame Ginger Dressing*
- 1 tablespoon Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil
- 3–4 pieces broccolini
- Handful of snow peas (about 10), chopped
- 8 oz. Shirataki or kelp noodles
- 2 sheets nori, crumbled
- 1 oz. shredded carrots
- ½ cup kimchi
- 2 tablespoons pickled ginger, optional
- 1 hard boiled egg, sliced lengthwise
- 4 tablespoons Primal Kitchen Sesame Ginger Dressing
- Salt and pepper, to taste
*How to prepare the chicken...
- Place the chicken in a bowl and season both sides with salt and pepper. Pour about 2 tablespoons of Primal Kitchen Sesame Ginger Dressing on top.
- Flip the chicken so it gets coated in dressing on the other side too. Place in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- When chicken has finished marinating, remove from refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature on the counter (about 10 minutes).
- Heat an indoor grill pan or cast-iron skillet to medium-high. Add 2 teaspoons of Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil to the pan.
- Cook chicken thigh for about 6 minutes per side (depending on how thick your chicken pieces are). Cooked chicken should register 165ºF on a meat thermometer when inserted into the thickest part of the meat.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and allow to rest on a cutting board for 5-10 minutes. Slice chicken into bite-sized pieces.
How to prepare the Low-Carb Asian Noodle Bowl...
- In a small skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 teaspoon of Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil.
- Add broccolini and stir-fry for about 2 minutes.
- Add snow peas and stir-fry for an additional 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat.
- Drain shirataki or kelp noodles. Add drained noodles to a large bowl.
- Top noodles with veggies, kimchi, ginger (if using), hard boiled egg, and chicken. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons (or however much you’d like!) Primal Kitchen Sesame Ginger Dressing.
Nutritional Info (entire recipe: 1 serving):
- Calories: 466
- Carbs: 21.3 grams
- Fat: 39 grams
- Protein: 12 grams
Nutritional information calculated using Cronometer.
You might also like these noodle recipes: