We love zoodles, veggie noodles, shirataki, and kelp noodles as pasta substitutes, but sometimes you just want something a little closer to the original. Or the kids scoff at a meal made up entirely of vegetables. Whatever the reason, gluten-free pasta that’s made with chickpeas, lentils, or corn has similar toothsome bite and neutral flavor as traditional pasta. When you want a fresh, verdant, straight-from-the-garden pasta that the entire family can enjoy, this plant-based chickpea penne with pesto and vegetables is it. Sauced luxuriously with our dairy-free pesto, vegetarians and vegans will feel welcome at the table when you serve this dish. Serve with farm-fresh crumbled ricotta at the table for those who wish to add creamy, soft decadence.
Gluten-free Chickpea Penne with Pesto, Broccoli and Asparagus
Time: 20 minutes
- 1 box Banza Chickpea Gluten-free Pasta
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 small bunch asparagus, sliced into 2-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2 garlic cloves, skin removed
- ½ cup Primal Kitchen Extra Virgin Avocado Oil
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- ¼ cup Kite Hill ricotta cheese, if desired
- Boil the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and add the pasta back to the pot. Cover.
- Bring another large pot of water to a roiling boil. Add salt. Add the broccoli florets and cook for 1 ½ to 2 minutes.
- Remove broccoli from pot and plunge into a bowl of cold water (can add ice if desired) for 2 minutes.
- Remove broccoli from water with a slotted spoon. Allow to dry on clean kitchen towels.
- Add asparagus to the boiling water and cook for 3 ½ to 4 minutes.
- Remove asparagus from pot and plunge into cold water for 2 minutes.
- Remove asparagus from water with a slotted spoon. Allow to dry on clean kitchen towels.
- Place pine nuts, garlic cloves, avocado oil, basil leaves, and ½ teaspoon of salt and pepper to a high-speed blender or food processor.
- Blend until mostly smooth—you want some texture, not a completely liquified sauce.
- Pour the pesto into the pot of cooked pasta. Stir well to coat the noodles in the pesto. Add the blanched broccoli and asparagus, and stir to combine.
- Serve with fresh ricotta, if desired.
Nutritional information (per serving)*:
Carbs: 44 grams
Net Carbs: 31 grams
Fat: 41 grams
Protein: 21 grams
Nutritional information calculated using Cronometer. Nutritional information includes ricotta.
You might also like these other gluten-free noodle recipes: