Brussels sprouts seem like an obligatory part of the Thanksgiving table and people either avoid them with derogatory comments and exasperated facial expressions, or pile 'em up on their plates with gusto. These humble baby cabbages shouldn't be blamed for the derision—their bitterness can be masked with the right cooking technique and sauce. The gaseous smell... well, plan to light a few scented candles or mull some spiced cider on the stove while you roast the Brussels sprouts.
While we love the salty, smoky, bitter combination of roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon, we're crushin' hard on these vegan-friendly sweet and sour roasted Brussels sprouts. These roasted Brussels sprouts dazzle the palate with bitter, sweet, salty, sour flavors that harmonize gorgeously with oven caramelization. A spattering of slightly lemony fresh thyme brightens the complex flavors and perfumes the Brussels sprouts with an herby holiday scent.
Sweet and Sour Roasted Brussels Sprouts (Vegan Recipe)
Time: 45 minutes
- 2 lbs. Brussels sprouts, stems removed and halved (quarter large sprouts)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil
- 2 Tbsp. Primal Kitchen Balsamic Vinegar of Modena
- 2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme, de-stemmed
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Place all ingredients in a large mixing bowl, and toss to combine.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and dump Brussels sprouts onto the baking sheet. Spread sprouts out into one even layer.
- Roast Brussels sprouts for 35–38 minutes, tossing once or twice, until fork tender and cut sides are golden brown. Remove from oven and serve.
Nutrition info (per serving):
Carbs: 21 grams
Fat: 5 grams
Protein: 6 grams
Nutrition info calculated using Cronometer.
You might also like these other vegan recipes: