This burger is a study in contrasting flavors and textures—ideal for those who crave more tongue-tingling interest than a beef patty cloaked only in melted cheese offers. A bit confused in its identity; this dish is half barbecue and half burger, but the fusion is refreshingly delectable. The crisp mayo-and-mustard-dressed coleslaw adds a cooling counterpoint to the smoky, slightly peppery BBQ sauce and slow-burning heat of the pickled jalapeños. Try all the bells and whistles suggested in this recipe the next time you want something a little different.
Spicy BBQ Burger
Time: 30-35 minutes
- 1 ½ pounds organic grass-fed ground chuck (80 percent lean)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bag coleslaw mix
- 2 tablespoons Primal Kitchen Mayo with Avocado Oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Primal Kitchen Spicy Brown Mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- 12-16 big leaves of butter lettuce
- 4 slices bacon, cooked until crisp
- 12 sliced jalapeños, fresh or pickled
- Primal Kitchen Classic BBQ Sauce, for serving
- Divide the meat into 4 equal portions, about 6 ounces each.
- Form each portion loosely into a ¾-inch thick burger. Press your thumb into the middle of each patty. Season both sides of each patty with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, make the coleslaw. Dump the coleslaw mix (shredded green and purple cabbage and carrots) into a large bowl. Add mayo, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Mix well to combine.
- Next, cook the burgers.
- If cooking outside: Heat a gas grill to high, or heat coals in a charcoal grill until they glow bright orange and ash over. Brush the grill grate with a bit of Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil, or spray with Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil Spray.
- If cooking inside: Heat a cast iron skillet or large pan over medium-high heat until it starts to smoke slightly. Add 1 tablespoon Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil to the pan, and cook the burgers according to the directions listed below.
- Grill or cook the burgers until golden brown and slightly charred on the first side, about 3 minutes.
- Flip the burgers over and cook on the other side for 3 minutes. Place cheese slices on top of each burger and allow to cook another 1 minute for medium rare.
- For medium, cook the burgers on the second side for 4 minutes, add the cheese slices, and allow to cook for another 1 minute.
- For medium-well to well, cook the burgers on the second side for 5 minutes, add the cheese slices, and allow to cook for another 1 minute.
- Remove burgers from the grill or stove. For each plate, add: 1 burger on top of a few lettuce leaves. Add 1 slice of bacon, torn in half, sliced jalapeños, and a few spoonfuls of coleslaw to the plate. Serve with Primal Kitchen BBQ Sauce.
Nutritional information (per serving)*:
Carbs: 15.3 grams
Fat: 37 grams
Protein: 43 grams
*includes 2 tablespoons of Primal Kitchen Classic BBQ Sauce and ½ cup of coleslaw.
Nutritional information calculated using Cronometer.
You might also like these other burger recipes: