You could argue that any cheeseburger can be made “keto” by simply removing the bun and passing on the ketchup, Thousand Island dressing, or any other sugar-sweetened sauce. This can work in a pinch when you’re low on other options, but if you’re grilling or making burgers at home, you can make a classic cheeseburger keto and include all of the time-honored toppings like dill-spiked sour pickles, a slice of sun-ripened juicy red tomato, and no sugar added ketchup and spicy mustard. No more plain-jane beef-and-cheese patties with a side of wilted iceberg and a slice of raw red onion.
Classic Keto Cheeseburger
Time: 30-35 minutes
- 1 ½ pounds organic grass-fed ground chuck (80 percent lean)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 12-16 big leaves of butter lettuce
- 4 thick slices of hothouse or roma tomato
- 12 slices dill pickles
- Primal Kitchen Ketchup, for serving
- Primal Kitchen Spicy Brown Mustard, for serving
- Divide the meat into 4 equal portions, about 6 ounces each.
- Form each portion loosely into a ¾-inch thick burger. Press your thumb into the middle of each patty. Season both sides of each patty with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a small saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon of avocado oil over medium heat. Add diced onion and cook, stirring often, until onion turns translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Sprinkle with a bit of salt and set aside.
- Next, cook the burgers.
- If cooking outside: Heat a gas grill to high, or heat coals in a charcoal grill until they glow bright orange and ash over. Brush the grill grate with a bit of Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil, or spray with Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil Spray.
- If cooking inside: Heat a cast iron skillet or large pan over medium-high heat until it starts to smoke slightly. Add 1 tablespoon Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil to the pan, and cook the burgers according to the directions listed below.
- Grill or cook the burgers until golden brown and slightly charred on the first side, about 3 minutes.
- Flip the burgers over and cook on the other side for 3 minutes.
- Place cheese slices on top of each burger and allow to cook another 1 minute for medium rare.
- For medium, cook the burgers on the second side for 4 minutes, add the cheese slices, and allow to cook for another 1 minute.
- For medium-well to well, cook the burgers on the second side for 5 minutes, add the cheese slices, and allow to cook for another 1 minute.
- Remove burgers from the grill or stove. For each plate, add: 1 burger on top of a few lettuce leaves. Add the cooked onions, tomato slices, and dill pickles. Serve with Primal Kitchen Ketchup and Spicy Brown Mustard.
Nutritional information (per serving: 1 burger)*:
Carbs: 5.4 grams
Fat: 33.4 grams
Protein: 39 grams
*Includes 1 tablespoon of Primal Kitchen Ketchup and 1 teaspoon of Primal Kitchen Spicy Brown Mustard.
Nutritional information calculated using Cronometer.
You might also like these other burger recipes: