Classic Keto Cheeseburger
June 27, 2019
You could argue that any cheeseburger can be made “keto” by simply removing the bun and passing on the ketchup, Thousand Island dressing, or any other sugar-sweetened sauce. This can work in a pinch when you’re low on other options, but if you’re grilling or making burgers at home, you can make a classic cheeseburger keto and include all of the time-honored toppings like dill-spiked sour pickles, a slice of sun-ripened juicy red tomato, and no sugar added ketchup and spicy mustard. No more plain-jane beef-and-cheese patties with a side of wilted iceberg and a slice of raw red onion.
Classic Keto Cheeseburger
Time: 30-35 minutes
- 1 ½ pounds organic grass-fed ground chuck (80 percent lean)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 12-16 big leaves of butter lettuce
- 4 thick slices of hothouse or Roma tomato
- 12 slices dill pickles
- Primal Kitchen Ketchup, for serving
- Primal Kitchen Spicy Brown Mustard, for serving
- Divide the meat into 4 equal portions, about 6 ounces each.
- Form each portion loosely into a ¾-inch thick burger. Press your thumb into the middle of each patty. Season both sides of each patty with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a small saute pan, heat 1 tablespoon of avocado oil over medium heat. Add diced onion and cook, stirring often, until onion turns translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Sprinkle with a bit of salt and set aside.
- Next, cook the burgers.
- If cooking outside: Heat a gas grill to high, or heat coals in a charcoal grill until they glow bright orange and ash over. Brush the grill grate with a bit of Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil, or spray with Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil Spray.
- If cooking inside: Heat a cast iron skillet or large pan over medium-high heat until it starts to smoke slightly. Add 1 tablespoon Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil to the pan, and cook the burgers according to the directions listed below.
- Grill or cook the burgers until golden brown and slightly charred on the first side, about 3 minutes.
- Flip the burgers over and cook on the other side for 3 minutes.
- Place cheese slices on top of each burger and allow to cook another 1 minute for medium rare.
- For medium, cook the burgers on the second side for 4 minutes, add the cheese slices, and allow to cook for another 1 minute.
- For medium-well to well, cook the burgers on the second side for 5 minutes, add the cheese slices, and allow to cook for another 1 minute.
- Remove burgers from the grill or stove. For each plate, add: 1 burger on top of a few lettuce leaves. Add the cooked onions, tomato slices, and dill pickles. Serve with Primal Kitchen Ketchup and Spicy Brown Mustard.
Nutritional information (per serving: 1 burger)*:
Carbs: 5.4 grams
Fat: 33.4 grams
Protein: 39 grams
*Includes 1 tablespoon of Primal Kitchen Ketchup and 1 teaspoon of Primal Kitchen Spicy Brown Mustard.
Nutritional information calculated using Cronometer.
You might also like these other burger recipes: