Part truffle, part peanut butter cup, part crumbly peanut butter cookie dough cloaked in an outer ring of dark chocolate, these keto holiday buckeyes present the harmonious marriage of chocolate and peanut butter in a way that keto devotees can savor. Even if you’re a staunch nothing sweet, I-no-longer-have-cravings-for-treats, keto-for-life person, you may appreciate a little two-bite nosh around the holidays or in the very least, your guests will. It’s easy to stock the four ingredients for these buckeyes in your pantry so you can whip them up on a moment’s notice—it only takes about 5 minutes to make these, and then 30 minutes total to freeze and set. If you or one of your guests is allergic to peanuts or doesn’t like them, swap the peanut butter and peanut butter collagen fuel for almond, macadamia, pecan, hazelnut, or walnut butter, and use either unflavored collagen peptides, vanilla-coconut or chocolate-coconut collagen instead. Add snowy flair to the outer edges by dipping in unsweetened coconut flakes before putting in the freezer to harden.
Keto Holiday Buckeyes
Time: 35 minutes
Servings: 13; 1 buckeye is 1 serving
- 9 scoops Primal Kitchen Collagen Fuel Drink Mix - Peanut Butter
- ¾ cup natural peanut butter, unsalted and no added sugar
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate* (150 grams, 5.3 ounces)
*We used Hu Gems chocolate
- Whisk together salt and collagen fuel.
- Use a spatula incorporate the peanut butter until the mixture is well combined.
- Use your hands to bring together the mixture into a dough. You should be able to get thirteen scoops from this dough.
- Shape each scoop of dough into balls with lightly moistened hands (stand near a sink or keep a little dish of water nearby).
- Place dough balls on a parchment paper-lined sheet pan. Pop into the freezer for 20 minutes to harden.
- Meanwhile, melt 150 grams of dark chocolate over a double-boiler.
- Pour chocolate into glass liquid measuring cup or large coffee mug (this creates some depth to dunk the buckeyes into).
- Stick a toothpick deep into a peanut butter dough ball, and dunk it into the chocolate (leaving some peanut butter exposed).
- Lift the balls out of the chocolate using a fork.
- Place ball back on parchment paper-lined sheet pan.
- Repeat with the remaining dough balls until all 13 are coated with chocolate and are resting on the sheet pan.
- Put the sheet pan back into the freezer for another 10 minutes.
- This recipe makes 13 buckeyes. Double, triple, or scale down as needed.
- You will need 150 grams of chocolate, just so that it is deep enough to be able to dunk each buckeye in, but you will only be using about 80 grams (3 ounces) of that 150 grams.
Nutritional information (per serving):
Carbs: 8 grams
Net Carbs: 6 grams
Fat: 13 grams
Protein: 12 grams
Nutritional information calculated using Cronometer.
You might also like these other keto treat recipes: