The lure of pumpkin spice is real. For all the reasons we love the season that gives us flame-tinged leaves and the chance to don full-length tights, crocheted sweaters, and scarves (without sweating), we crafted this sweet, spiced keto-friendly treat to remind us that we too can partake in the pleasures of autumn flavors without ditching our keto, primal, or other clean eating habits.
These donuts have everything you’d expect from a traditional cake recipe: a tender and moist crumb from the egg white, butter, and pumpkin puree trifecta. The warm cinnamon-spiked finish encases each ring in a cozy hug and the granulated texture of the Swerve adds a slightly crunchy contrast to the yielding interior.
Our Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil Spray glues the topping to the donut, but some will inevitably come off on your fingers. Licking the sweet, cinnamon goodness off your fingers is one of the lingering pleasures these treats provide. Serve with coffee (we think black coffee provides just the right acidic counterpart to the sweet) and no napkins.
If you’re very strict keto, the carb count may be a bit high for you—at 11.7 net grams—but these can be fit into a flexible plan for those occasional moments when you want to splurge.
Time: 30 minutes
For the donuts...
- 2 ½ cups finely ground almond flour (280 g)
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder (1.25 ml)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda (2.5 ml)
- ¼ teaspoon salt (1.25 ml)
- 2 eggs, separated
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature (60 g)
- 3/4 cup organic pumpkin puree
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract (2.5 ml)
- 2 Tablespoons monk fruit
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon allspice
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
For the coating...
- ¼ cup Swerve
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil Spray
- Silicone donut pan or a non-stick donut pan
- Heat oven to 375°F/190ºC
- Lightly butter/grease the donut pan.
- Whisk together almond flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- In a large bowl, whisk together egg yolks, butter, pumpkin, vanilla extract, spices, and monk fruit until smooth.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture.
- Gently fold the dry ingredients and the egg yolk mixture together.
- Spoon the thick batter into the donut pan, using ¼ to 1/3 cup of batter for each donut.
- Bake until the donuts are lightly browned on top and a toothpick inserted into a donut comes out clean, 15 to 17 minutes.
- Allow donuts cool for 10 minutes in the pan before removing.
- Continue cooling the donuts on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, whisk together Swerve and cinnamon. Spray each donut with Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil Spray, coating completely.
- Roll each muffin in the sweetened spice mixture.
- Store in an airtight, covered container for a week.
Nutritional Info (per serving):
Carbs: 17.8 grams
Net Carbs: 11.7 grams
Fat: 33 grams
Protein: 12 grams
Nutritional information calculated using Cronometer.