As warm as a tight embrace and as soothing as a lavender-scented bath, Mexican hot chocolate is a rich mug of velvety chocolate, wintry spices, and a hint of heat from cayenne pepper or chili powder. It’s the perfect way to thaw after coming inside from a blustery snow storm, a day on the slopes, or to relish an evening cozied close to a sputtering fireplace.
Our version of Mexican hot chocolate does not include any added sugars, can be made dairy-free, if desired, and is keto and Primal/paleo friendly. Simply warm the ingredients, whisk together, and plop a generous spoonful (or two) of whipped cream or coconut cream on top before sipping slowly.
Mexican Collagen Hot Chocolate
Time: 5 minutes
- 3 cups alternative milk of choice*
- 4 scoops Primal Kitchen Collagen Fuel Drink Mix - Chocolate
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for serving
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1–2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder, optional
*We used unsweetened coconut milk.
- Heat all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk ingredients until well combined.
- When mixture begins to bubble, turn off heat and remove from stove.
- Pour hot chocolate into 2 mugs. Top with unsweetened whipped cream or coconut cream, if desired. Sprinkle cream with extra ground cinnamon, and enjoy.
Nutritional information (per serving):
Carbs: 8.5 grams
Fat: 12.5 grams
Protein: 24 grams
Nutritional information calculated using Cronometer.
You might also like these other warm collagen drink recipes: