Conceptually, cake donut holes are irresistible—tender and pillowy on the inside, thickly jacketed with powdered or granulated sugar, and small enough to justify indulging in more than one. Ensnared by the promise of a perfect, cloud-like bite of sweetness that arouses the tongue, I’m often disappointed by the taste of the cheap oil used (and often re-used) to fry these. No amount of powdered sugar or cinnamon-kissed sugar can cloak the taste of seed oil that lingers longer than the candied cloud.
One solution: Don’t eat fried donuts. A more fun option: Bake your own. An even better idea: Make these four-ingredient, no-bake, no-fry donut holes. Macadamia nuts provide an unctuous base that, when pulverized in a food processor or high-speed blender, develop a texture similar to cookie dough. Simply roll the buttery dough into balls, chill, then roll in powdered (or granulated, if you’re a member of the grainy sweet camp) natural sweetener. We boosted the flavor of our donut holes with collagen—our gorgeously Golden Turmeric Collagen. If you’d like a cocoa version, sub our Chocolate Coconut Collagen.
Easy Gluten-Free Keto Donut Holes
Time: 50 minutes
- 1 scoop Primal Kitchen Collagen Drink Mix — Golden Turmeric
- 1½ cups raw, unsalted macadamia nuts
- Pinch of salt
- Powdered monk fruit sweetener
- Blend the macadamia nuts, collagen and salt in a food processor until the nuts are smooth and have the consistency of dough.
- Stop processing before the nuts take on a looser, butter-like texture.
- Shape the dough into balls. If the dough isn’t holding its shape, refrigerate it for 30 minutes first.
- Place the donut holes on sheet pans and freeze until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Remove the donut holes from the freezer.
- Shake out about a cup of powdered monk fruit onto a large plate.
- Roll donut holes in powdered monk fruit.
- Store leftover donut holes in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- Freeze any extras, if desired.
Nutritional Info (1 hole per serving):
Carbs: 7.25 grams
Net Carbs: 6 grams
Fat: 13 grams
Protein: 2 grams
Nutritional information calculated using Cronometer.
You might also like these other keto-friendly treats:
- Pumpkin Spice Keto Donuts
- Keto Peppermint Bark
- Chocolate Collagen Keto Fat Bombs
- Collagen Shamrock Shake
Watch how easy it is to make these Keto Donut Holes: