These basic but meaty, zippy, umami, a touch salty and deeply savory grilled portobello mushrooms are the perfect stand-in for meat as a main dish; a complimentary accent to serve alongside a grill-crusted rib eye; or a keto, Primal/paleo and Whole30 bun substitute for a garlic aioli burger, pulled chicken slider, or salmon cakes. Seasoned simply with Primal Kitchen Steak Sauce—a no soy, no sugar, gluten-free sauce punctuated with vinegar, tamarind, garlic, orange juice, ginger, mustard and underutilized spices like cloves, allspice and celery seed—you may need to suspend your disbelief that a steak sauce can be vegan. Never mind the oxymoron; you can use this complex sauce to add instant interest to any vegetable, tuber, or meat.
3-Ingredient Grilled Portobello Mushrooms
Time: 16 minutes
- 4 portobello mushrooms
- Primal Kitchen Steak Sauce
- 1 teaspoon parsley, chopped
- Clean mushrooms and remove stems, if desired.
- Heat a grill to high and brush grill grate with an oiled towel, or spray grate with Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil Spray.
- Brush both sides of each mushroom cap with Primal Kitchen Steak Sauce.
- Cook mushrooms for 5-7 minutes per side; turn over and cook for 5-7 minutes on the other side.
- Remove mushrooms from grill and place on large plate or platter.
- Sprinkle fresh chopped parsley on top, and serve.
Nutritional Info (per serving, 2 mushroom caps):
Carbs: 8.2 grams
Net Carbs: 6.1 grams
Fat: 0 grams
Protein: 6 grams
Nutritional information calculated using Cronometer.
You might like to these other plant-based recipes: