BBQ Chicken Quesadillas
September 02, 2020
BBQ chicken quesadillas are a kid-friendly lunch or dinner that's dead simple and quick to put together, especially when said kid(s) are hangry. Of course, melting cheese (sub nut, hemp, or coconut cheese if you need a vegan source) on just about anything—gluten-free bread, steamed broccoli, the kitchen counter—can quell the growling bellies and rising tempers of any fussy child.
While most kids would be content with a plain cheese quesadilla warmed in the microwave and cut into triangles, we added a bit more interest to our BBQ chicken quesadilla by adding cooked chicken, cooked red bell pepper slices, and our Classic BBQ Sauce. Use a skillet to toast the outside of the tortillas and gently melt the cheese to get the crisp snap of warmed tortilla when you bite in. We made our quesadillas with almond flour tortillas, but you can use any type of tortilla, cheese, meat (or even bean), and veggie you and the kids like. Try any of these unique quesadilla flavors:
- spinach, steak, smoked gouda with a drizzle of Primal Kitchen Balsamic Vinegar of Modena
- kale, coconut cheese, smashed chickpeas with a few dots of Primal Kitchen Buffalo Sauce
- caramelized onions, mushrooms, pepper jack with a squirt of Primal Kitchen Dijon Mustard
- carnitas, queso fresco with Primal Kitchen Cilantro Lime Dressing and mashed avocados on top
BBQ Chicken Quesadillas
Time: 20 minutes
- 1 tablespoon Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 4 almond flour tortillas (we used Siete Foods brand)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 6-ounce skinless chicken breast, cooked and diced
- 4 tablespoons Primal Kitchen Classic BBQ Sauce
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, warm avocado oil. Add red bell pepper slices and cook, stirring frequently, until peppers are tender, about 8–10 minutes.
- Remove the peppers from the skillet onto a plate.
- Turn the heat on the stove down to medium. Add 1 tortilla. On top of the tortilla, add half of the shredded cheese, half of the diced chicken, half of the bell pepper, and 2 tablespoons of the Primal Kitchen Classic BBQ Sauce.
- Place a second tortilla on top of the other tortilla. Allow to cook for 3–4 minutes. Use a spatula to flip the quesadilla over. Cook for another 2–3 minutes on the other side.
- Remove the quesadilla from the skillet to a cutting board. Cut the quesadilla into triangles. Repeat the process with the remaining ingredients to make a second quesadilla.
Nutrition info (per serving: 1 whole quesadilla):
Carbs: 28 grams
Fat: 31 grams
Protein: 39 grams
Nutrition info calculated using Cronometer.
You might also like these other kid-friendly recipes: