The food world is changing, bit by bit, to begin answering consumer demand for more wholesome real-food options. Of course, we couldn’t be more thrilled. Fast food chains are paying attention and hustling to offer alternatives to their usual deep-fried, refined carbs-heavy fare. You can build a Whole30 Salad Bowl at Chipotle, an Unwich—basically sandwich fillings in a lettuce wrap—at Jimmy John’s, or grilled chicken nuggets with a side salad at Chick-fil-A (although they have five low-carb salad dressings available, I’m still going to bring my own avocado oil-based dressings, because #saladgoals).
Although it’s wonderful that these better-for-you options are more widely available, I’m still pretty partial to prepping my own wholesome food at home. Call me old-fashioned, but there’s some comfort in knowing exactly what’s in the food I eat. Bonus: When I’m building my own Tex-Mex bowl at home, I can add as much avocado as I want and I won’t be charged an extra $2. I also like my burrito bowl with white rice because I’m a rebel like that. Seriously, I can tolerate white rice well, am aware of the carb content, and I’m OK with it. If you’re opposed to it or don’t do any grains, you can simply leave it out or sub cauliflower rice. Easy!
Tex-Mex Chicken Burrito Bowl with Cilantro Lime Dressing
Time: 2 hours
- 1 skinless, boneless chicken breast or thigh
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup Primal Kitchen Cilantro Lime Dressing
- 2 tablespoons Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil
- ½ onion, sliced into ¼-inch strips
- ½ bell pepper, sliced into ¼-inch strips (any color)
- 1 cup white rice*
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup salsa or pico de gallo
- 4 fresh cilantro sprigs
- ½ avocado
*Can substitute with cooked cauliflower rice, if desired.
- Place the chicken in a bowl and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Pour about 2 tablespoons of Primal Kitchen Cilantro Lime Dressing on top. Flip the chicken so it gets coated in dressing on the other side, too.
- Place in the refrigerator and marinate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice. Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a small pot. Add 1 cup of rice to the pot, along with a few pinches of salt, and butter.
- When rice starts to boil, turn heat to low and place a lid on top of the pot. Simmer for about 20 minutes, or until all water is absorbed.
- Turn off heat and remove the lid from the pot. Fluff rice with a fork. Add fresh lime juice and chopped cilantro, and stir. Set aside.
- When chicken has finished marinating, remove from refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature on the counter (about 10 minutes).
- Heat an indoor grill pan or cast-iron skillet to medium-high. Add 1 tablespoon of Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil.
- Add sliced onion, leaving a few slices back for garnish. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add sliced bell pepper to the pan and cook for another 5-6 minutes, stirring often. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add more avocado oil to the pan and add the chicken. Cook chicken thigh for about 6 minutes per side, and chicken breast for about 7 minutes per side (depending on how thick your chicken pieces are). Cooked chicken should register 165ºF on a meat thermometer when inserted into the thickest part of the meat.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and allow to rest on a cutting board for 5-10 minutes. Slice chicken into bite-sized pieces.
To assemble the burrito bowl:
- Place ½ cup rice (save the remaining rice for another use) in a large bowl.
- Add chicken, onions, bell peppers, pico de gallo, avocado and cilantro leaves.
- Drizzle with 2 tablespoons Primal Kitchen Cilantro Lime Dressing, and enjoy!
Looking for more chicken recipes? You might like…