Cristina Curp from @thecastawaykitchen created a dreamy Mediterranean hummus-style dip with our Primal Kitchen Extra Virgin Avocado Oil, cauliflower, and macadamia nuts. Made with healthy fats, antioxidants, and tons of full fall flavor, this recipe has it all!
About Cristina Curp
When Cristina thinks of oils, of good oils, she thinks of Greek food. She loves Mediterranean spreads with yogurt and hummus swimming in oil, lots of fruits, vegetables and nuts all round for dipping. But wait, she doesnt eat legumes or dairy. Such was born this delectable hummus. Its paleo-tastic. Made completely of vegetables, nut and oh so good fats!
Cristina is no stranger to good food, and whole ingredient cooking. As a chef who worked at various farm to table establishments, including her families own organic cafe,Cristina has been a part of the health food movement for the better part of the last decade. When she discovered she could heal her autoimmune diseased through the paleo diet a fire was ignited and with it was born The Castaway Kitchen. A collection of recipes, stores and articles which have seen her from her first Whole30, the Autoimmune Protocol and finally remission, vitality and happiness!
Cristina lives in Hawaii with her husband, Justin, a petty officer in the US Navy, their son Jack and schnauzer Bruce. She attributes a lot of her healing to living in such an amazing place with access to locally grown food, abundant hiking trails and year round access to the ocean.
As the daughter of Cuban immigrants, Cristina’s fiery go-getter personality has driven The Castaway Kitchen to grow considerably in it’s first year, and she will be publishing her first e-book this fall! Through her creative recipes and beautiful pictures, Cristina is driven to inspire others to take their health in to their own hands, to eat beautiful, nourishing meals and have fun doing it! Follow along with Cristina on Instagram at @thecastawaykitchen.
Roasted Cauliflower & Macadamia Nut Hummus
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 5 garlic cloves
- 2 slices of bacon
- 1/4 small onion
- 4-5 tablespoons Primal Kitchen Extra Virgin Avocado Oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1/3 cup macadamia nuts
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1/4 cup minced parsley
- 3 lemons
- Chop cauliflower into 1-inch pieces.
- Peel garlic cloves.
- Dice onion.
- Cut bacon into 1-inch pieces.
- Slice 1 lemon.
- Toss everything on a sheet pan with 2 tablespoons of Extra Virgin Avocado Oil, salt and pepper.
- Spread out vegetable and bacon mixture on sheet pan, and add garlic cloves to the top of a piece of bacon or lemon slice.
- Place in the oven and roast for 40 minutes.
- Next, prepare food processor. Add the remaining two lemons, minced parsley and 1 tablespoon of capers to blend mixture.
- With 10 minutes left on the timer of your roasted vegetable and bacon mixture, add the macadamia nuts to the sheet pan in the oven. Roast for remaining 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool. Then, add vegetable, bacon and nuts to the food processor.
- Add 2 tablespoons of the Extra Virgin Avocado Oil. Keep the mixture moving until it is smooth or almost smooth. Cristina likes her vegetable hummus a little bit on the chunky side, so blend to your desired texture.
- Serve hummus in a large plate or bowl. Make well in the center, fill with one tablespoon of capers, bacon bits, macadamia nuts, herbs and a drizzle of Extra Virgin Avocado Oil.