We remain devoted to tacos, and are determined to deliver as many Primal/paleo and keto versions of tacos as possible. Challenging as it may be to unearth a keto-friendly tortilla that's not a pit-free avocado or leaf of romaine lettuce, cabbage, or collard green, we enjoy the ease of a ready-to-use keto tortilla made from cheese. Of course, you can make your own cheese taco shell—our recipe for Keto Breakfast Tacos includes step-by-step instructions for how to make a lacy, crisp cheese keto taco shell—but you can also sub a store-bought cheese wrap to save a little time.
While the tortilla or taco shell contributes to the enjoyment of eating the taco—nobody wants a shell that leaks liquid all over your wrist, or crumbles apart with the first bite—it's the filling of the taco that makes it memorable. That's why our keto shredded beef taco recipe invests time in pressure cooking or slow cooking beef chuck roast that's well seasoned and spiced with our Spicy Ketchup for extra zing. The rich, meltingly tender strands of spiced shredded beef add salty savoriness while the crisp snap of shredded raw cabbage, sweet and acidic pop of cherry tomatoes, and grassiness of cilantro leaves add fresh, bright contrast. Sprinkle with cotija cheese for extra creamy flavor, if desired, and devour.
Keto Shredded Beef Tacos
Time: 2 hours to 10 hours (depends on your cooking method)
Servings: 2 (2 tacos)
- 4 Folios Cheese Wraps or keto-friendly tortillas
- 1 cup cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup shredded beef (see recipe below)
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves
- 4 tablespoons cotija cheese
- Place cheese wraps on a large plate or cutting board.
- Add 1/4 cup shredded cabbage to each cheese wrap. Top with 1/4 cup shredded beef.
- Add an even amount of sliced cherry tomatoes, cilantro, and about 1 tablespoon of cotija cheese per cheese wrap.
- Plate two tacos per person, and enjoy!
Tip: Allow the cooked shredded beef to cool a bit before loading into the cheese wraps (so the wraps remain sturdy).
How to Make Keto Taco Seasoning
Time: 5 minutes
Servings: 1 (to season 2 1/2 pounds of shredded beef)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or black pepper
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Use all of the keto taco seasoning to season the shredded beef for the tacos in this recipe.
- Make a double or triple batch of this taco seasoning and store any unused seasoning in an airtight glass container or mini mason jar with lid.
Nutrition info for Keto Taco Seasoning:
Carbs: 4 grams
Fat: 1 gram
Protein: 1 gram
How to Make Shredded Beef in an Instant Pot
Total cook time: 1 hour, 50 minutes*
*The cook time includes the time it takes for the Instant Pot to come to pressure, cook time in the Instant Pot, and natural pressure release time.
- 1 tablespoon Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil
- 2 1/2-pound boneless chuck roast
- Keto Taco Seasoning (see recipe above)
- 1 cup beef bone broth
- 1/4 cup Primal Kitchen Spicy Ketchup
- Pour oil inside the Instant Pot and set it to sauté.
- When the oil is warm, place the chuck roast into the Instant Pot and sear on all sides until the outside of the meat is browned.
- Season the chuck roast with Keto Taco Seasoning.
- Pour the beef bone broth into a bowl or large liquid measuring cup with a pourable spout. Add the Spicy Ketchup to the bone broth, and whisk to combine.
- Pour the bone broth over the chuck roast in the Instant Pot. Place the lid on the Instant Pot and lock. The steam release knob should be set to "sealing."
- Cook on manual setting (high pressure) for 70 minutes. Allow the steam to release naturally (about 20 minutes).
- When the steam has finished releasing, take off the lid and remove the beef. Place the beef on a meat cutting board or in a large dish, and shred the meat with two forks.
- Set aside about 1 cup of the shredded beef to make four Keto Shredded Beef Tacos.
- Store the rest of the shredded beef with a few cups of the cooking liquid in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. You can also freeze the rest of the beef in a resealable bag for up to 2–3 months (label the outside of the bag with the contents and date).
To Make Shredded Beef in a Slow Cooker:
- Use the same ingredients above.
- Heat the avocado oil in a large pot or skillet over medium-high heat. Sear the meat on all sides until browned.
- Place the chuck roast inside the slow cooker. Season with Keto Taco Seasoning, whisk the Spicy Ketchup into the beef bone broth, and pour the beef bone broth over the chuck roast.
- Close and seal the lid of the slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 hours. When beef is cooked, remove from the slow cooker and shred with two forks.
Nutrition info (per serving: 2 tacos):
Carbs: 13 grams
Fat: 54 grams
Protein: 46 grams
Nutrition information calculated using Cronometer.
You might also like these other taco recipes: