As we reluctantly pack away our shorts and flip flops and dig out our thicker ankle-length leggings, hoodies, sweaters, and scarves, we can look forward to the emergence of a new crop of seasonal vegetables at the farmer’s market. Summer produce such as strawberries, zucchini, and heirloom tomatoes fade out of season, and sturdy pumpkins, autumnal squash, robust cabbages like Brussels sprouts, and snappy kohlrabi provide a rainbow of new tastes and textures to cook with. Little beats the flavor and simplicity of roasting a big pan of fall vegetables—luckily the crisper air makes heating the kitchen with the oven a non-issue—but you can also achieve the caramelized, lightly charred appeal that high, even heat gives to vegetables in a cast-iron skillet slicked with an adequate amount of fat.
Our fall vegetable pasta embodies the flavor of fall in an easy one-skillet dish. We kept this dish paleo/Primal by swapping spiralized butternut squash for pasta, and using our No-Dairy Alfredo Sauce that’s every bit as thick and creamy as the traditional dairy-heavy alfredo sauce. Crisp bacon adds a smoky, salty bite that enhances the pleasant bitter notes of the Brussels sprouts and accentuates the sweetness of the squash.
Fall Vegetable Pasta with Bacon and Alfredo Sauce
Time: 28 minutes
- 4 strips Applegate Naturals® No Sugar Bacon
- 1 tablespoon Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil
- ½ pound organic Brussels sprouts
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 package Cece’s Veggie Co. Organic Butternut Veggiccine
- ½ jar Primal Kitchen No-Dairy Alfredo Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Italian parsley, chopped
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat.
- Cut bacon into lardons (small pieces), and add to skillet.
- Cook for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally (or until desired crispness).
- Remove from skillet and place onto a paper towel-lined plate.
- Add 1 tablespoon of avocado oil to the skillet. Add sliced Brussels sprouts. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook sprouts for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove sprouts from skillet. Turn heat down to medium.
- Place skillet back on the burner. Add butternut squash noodles. Add half jar of Primal Kitchen No-Dairy Alfredo Sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer; stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes (or until desired tenderness).
- Add bacon and Brussels, and toss to coat.
- Top with fresh chopped Italian parsley, and enjoy!
Nutritional information (per serving):
Carbs: 36.5 grams
Fat: 20 grams
Protein: 10.4 grams
Nutritional information calculated using Cronometer.
You might also like these other pasta recipes: