By Charlotte Smythe, founder and blogger of Confessions of a Clean Foodie
If you’re doing a Whole30 and find yourself falling into a rut of eating the same things over and over (because, hey! You know those foods work for the plan. We feel you.), and wonder how you’re going to get through the entire month without caving and going off-plan or swearing off those six or seven foods you keep eating on repeat… like, forever, consider making a Whole30-friendly macro bowl. By definition, macro bowls provide a balance (more or less) of macro nutrients (carbs, fat, and protein) that not only satisfy, but also provide variety.
This Whole30 Macro Bowl developed by clean-eating maven Charlotte Smythe and creative mastermind of the Confessions of a Clean Foodie blog, is a rainbow of colors, tastes, and textures. It comes together easily with a bit of roasting veggies in the oven, crisping protein in a pan on the stove, and tossing everything together with the eclectic, slightly sweet and savory Primal Kitchen Thousand Island Dressing. Brighten your lunch meal prep with this colorful, delectable bowl of real-food goodness.
Whole30 Macro Bowl
Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
- 1 red potato, cut into cubes
- 1 large purple sweet potato, cut into wedges
- 6 tablespoons Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil, divided
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces cauliflower florets
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp garlic seasoning
- 1 zucchini, spiralized
- 4 slices Applegate No-Sugar Bacon
- 1 8-ounce pack of Applegate Grilled Chicken Breast Strips
- 1 bunch rainbow chard, chopped
- ½ bunch dinosaur kale, chopped
- Primal Kitchen Thousand Island Dressing to serve
- Freshly chopped cilantro to serve
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Scatter the red and purple potatoes on a large baking sheet. Drizzle 2 tablespoons of avocado oil on the potatoes, toss them with salt and pepper and scatter them in a single layer on one side of the baking sheet.
- Add the cauliflower florets to a mixing bowl. Drizzle with 2 more tablespoons of avocado oil and toss the cauliflower with the ground turmeric and garlic seasoning. Add salt and pepper if desired. Scatter the cauliflower florets in a single layer on the other side of the baking sheet with the potatoes.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and roast with vegetables for 30-35 minutes.
- Before moving on to the next step, put the spiralized zucchini noodles in a colander lined with cheesecloth, and sprinkle with a few pinches of sea salt. Set the colander in the sink for 7-10 minutes. Wrap the zucchini noodles in the cheesecloth and squeeze all the excess liquid out of the noodles. Set the noodles aside and move on to the next steps.
- While the vegetables roast, heat a cast iron pan over high heat and cook the bacon. Remove the bacon from the pan, dice into small pieces and set aside.
- Add the grilled chicken strips to the same pan with the bacon fat and sear just to heat the chicken through, about 3 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pan and set it aside.
- Add the zucchini noodles to the same pan and sauté for about 3 minutes. Remove the noodles from the pan and set it aside.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of avocado oil to the same pan and sauté the chard and kale for a few minutes. Season the greens with a little garlic seasoning and remove from the heat.
- To assemble your macro bowl, lay the kale and chard mixture down first and then top it with half of all the other ingredients. Finish with fresh cilantro and serve with Primal Kitchen Thousand Island Dressing.
Nutritional Information (per serving):*
Carbs: 29.3 grams
Fat: 37.3 grams
Protein: 26 grams
Nutritional information calculated using Cronometer. *Includes 2 tablespoons Primal Kitchen Thousand Island Dressing per serving.
You might also like these other Whole30 recipes: