What better way to celebrate the holidays than with homemade primal marshmallows by Wellness Mama! Combine these heavenly (and extra fluffy) marshmallows with a hot cup of collagen-infused cocoa for a true winter treat.
Enjoy the amazing taste and healthy fats found in cacao, plus the gut-soothing and beauty supporting benefits of collagen and gelatin.
The marshmallow cooking process can be a bit sticky, but it’s incredibly fun and the results are delightful. Add powdered matcha tea, probiotics, marshmallow root, or elderberry syrup (as directed by Wellness Mama) to the recipe below if you want to play with even more fun colors, flavors, and added nutrients.
- 1 small sauce pan
- 1 hand mixer & a metal bowl (or a KitchenAid mixer if you have one)
- 4 Tbsp of pasture-raised gelatin powder
- 1 cup of water (divided)
- 1 cup of coconut nectar
- 2 tsp vanilla or other flavor option (mint or lemon extract, cocoa powder, etc.)
- Tapioca flour to dust the greased parchment
- Pour 1/2 cup warm water into a mixing bowl.
- Add in the gelatin. Whisk the mixture slightly, and then let sit.
- Pour the other 1/2 cup of water and 1 cup of coconut nectar into a small saucepan, and whisk to combine.
- Slowly bring the water and coconut nectar mixture to a boil while stirring. Boil and stir the mixture constantly for 8 minutes.
- Gently pour the coconut nectar/water mixture into the bowl holding the gelatin mix (which will be hardened by now).
- Use either a stand mixer or hand mixer (medium speed) to whip together the ingredients as you slowly add in the coconut nectar mixture.
- Once the coconut nectar mix is fully added, turn the mixer to high and blend for another 10-15 minutes, or until the combined ingredients begin to turn into a stiff cream (should form gentle peaks).
- Line a 9x13 inch baking dish with parchment paper, leaving some space on the sides to be able to pull the paper up slightly. Dust the parchment paper with tapioca flour to keep the marshmallows from sticking.
- Once the marshmallows are whipped, pour the creamy mixture into the lined dish and smooth it out evenly.
- Let the mixture sit for at least 4 hours (overnight is better).
- Flip the cream onto a cutting board and cut with a well-oiled pizza cutter or knife.
- Store in an airtight container on the counter. NOTE: Do NOT store the marshmallows in the fridge, as they will melt. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
For the Cocoa…
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 2 oz eating evolved signature dark chocolate (72% cacoa)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of fine grain sea salt
- 1 scoop of collagen peptides
- Mix the ingredients together in a pot and heat until boiling.
- Pour into a cup and let sit until warm.
- Add in the marshmallows.