Leg of Lamb with Pistachio Pesto
March 28, 2018
Rich and tender, this leg of lamb cooked with the joules sous vide method or regular oven method is as foolproof to make as it is delicious to eat! Serve the lamb with pistachio pesto and roasted potatoes, and we can guarantee the whole family will be begging for more.
For the meat, we selected 100% organic, grass-fed lamb leg from Mosner Family Farms. We love supporting meat from high-quality sources, and this family-owned company committed to humane animal treatment and environmental conservation fits the bill. You can also pick up a lamb leg at your local butcher shop or natural grocer.
Made with Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil, the pistachio pesto is so thick and naturally creamy that you won't even miss the cheese. Save some aside to use as a dipping sauce and you'll have moist, tender meat that everyone will love.
Leg of Lamb with Pistachio Pesto
In this recipe, tender and juicy lamb leg is marinated in pesto made with Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil for two days and then cooked sous vide style.
1 leg of lamb
5½ teaspoons cumin
1¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1¼ teaspoon allspice
1 Tablespoon salt
1¼ teaspoon black pepper
1¼ cup mint leaves
1¼ cup parsley
1 garlic clove
1 cup pistachios
½ cup Primal Kitchen Avocado OIl
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1⁄4 cup mint leaves
Pinch of sea salt
For the lamb
For the pistachio pesto
Fill a large tub with enough water to cover the leg of lamb. Heat sous vide to 140°F.
Score the leg of lamb in a cross-hatch pattern, making sure not to go too far past the fat and skin layer.
Chop the mint and parsley. Combine together cumin, allspice, cinnamon, pepper, salt, chopped mint, and parsley.
Rub the mixture all over the leg of lamb and into the scored grooves.
Place leg of lamb in sous vide bag. Secure with clamps. Cover the bath with plastic wrap. Cook in sous vide bath at 140°F for 24 hours.
Remove the meat from bag.
Preheat oven to 450°F.
Cut away the meat to expose a bit of the bone. Make a big foil ball and prop the leg up so air can flow around it and dry the skin a bit before it goes in the oven. Dry for about 10-15 minutes as the oven reaches temp.
Place the lamb leg in the oven, and cook for 15-20 minutes until slightly crispy.
In the meantime, combine the pistachio pesto ingredients in a food processor, blending until creamy.
Remove the meat from the oven, and serve with pistachio pesto and roasted potatoes. Enjoy!
Don't have a sous vide? Use these alternate oven directions.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. (All of the same directions for scoring/seasoning the lamb used above can be followed as is).
- Place the lamb leg on an elevated rack in a roasting pan, fat side up. Roast for 25 minutes.
- Turn the temperature down to 350°F for 1-1/2 hours, or until the internal temperature (measured from the thickest part of the roast) reaches 130°F. Check the internal temperature with an instant-read thermometer every 30 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and the rack from the pan. Let the leg roast cool on the rack for at least 15-20 minutes with aluminum foil tented over the top. The internal temperature will rise another 5-10 degrees.
- Carve the lamb by slicing it against the grain to serve. Enjoy!
- per serving
- 74.5 grams
- 18 grams
You might also enjoy these other meaty recipes:
- Pork Tenderloin with Homemade Chimichurri Sauce
- Lamb Chops with BBQ Gravy and Mashed Potatoes
- Grilled BBQ Pork Chops with Hawaiian Style Sauce