One of the criticisms lobbed at the keto diet by some dietitians and doctors interviewed for stories on popular media websites: A diet that’s as low-carb as the keto diet isn’t sustainable in the long term. One of the ways you can make the keto diet easier to stick to for as long as you want to be on it: Keto-fy the high-carb food you might miss.
Traditional muffins made with flour, added sugar, and often fruit for flavor and interest obviously contain too many carbs to be keto. But, if you substitute a nut flour for the all-purpose flour (or make it even easier and use a ready-to-go keto muffin mix), use a keto sweetener, and a fruit that’s low in carbs but big in flavor, you have a keto-friendly muffin that can help you squash any muffin craving you might get.
Keto Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Time: 50 minutes
Servings: 12 muffins
- 2 cups Birch Benders Keto Pancake & Waffle Mix
- ¼ cup Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- ½ cup poppy seeds
- ¼ cup monk fruit
- 2-3 drops lemon essential oil
- 1 lemon, zested
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix well to combine.
- Either spray a muffin tin with Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil Spray, or line with paper cups. Spoon an equal amount of mixture into each muffin tin slot (leave about ¼ inch from the batter to the top of the circle of each muffin slot).
- Bake for 35–40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean. Remove tin from the oven and allow muffins to cool for about 5 minutes in the tin before removing.
Nutritional information (per muffin):
Carbs: 8.2 grams
Net Carbs: 4 grams
Fat: 14 grams
Protein: 7 grams
Nutritional information calculated using Cronometer.
You might also like these other keto makeover recipes: