With just two ingredients, you can make your own exfoliating face and body scrub at home. Sloughing off the dead skin cells from the top layer of your skin can reveal skin that’s refreshed with a rosy glow. Of course you can purchase exfoliating face wash and lightly abrasive body scrubs, but you can also create your own at home and avoid any chemical additives and possible irritants. Simply combine two ingredients—avocado oil and brown sugar—in a 1:1 ratio and scale the recipe up or shrink the recipe to suit your home beauty regimen or gift-giving needs.
This scrub has a wonderfully sweet, molasses-rich scent, but you can enhance the aroma of the scrub by adding finely chopped fresh or dried herbs—such as lavender, thyme, and rosemary—or even a few drops of extracts like vanilla, coconut, almond, or mint.
Avocado Oil and Brown Sugar Face and Body Scrub
Time: 5 minutes
Servings: Makes enough scrub to fill one 32-ounce mason jar (about 4 cups)
- 4 cups Primal Kitchen Extra Virgin Avocado Oil
- 4 cups brown sugar
- 1, 32-ounce mason jar
- Decorate cloth, if desired
- Add the brown sugar to the mason jar. Pour the avocado oil on top. Seal the mason jar securely.
- Shake the mason jar until the oil coats the sugar completely.
- If you’d like to add a swath of decorative cloth, twist the lid off and place the cloth over the top of the lip of the jar on top of the metal lid. You’ll want about an inch of the cloth to spill out over the top on all sides.
- Twist the metal ring around the cloth and the lip of the jar until it twists on completely.
How to Use Avocado Oil and Brown Sugar Face and Body Scrub
To use as a face wash: Clean off any makeup you might have on your face. Scoop out about a nickel-sized amount of the scrub on your fingertips. Work the scrub into the skin on your face in gentle circles until the skin of your forehead, cheeks, nose, and area about your lip are coated. You can gently massage some scrub under your jaw and on your neck as well. Use warm water to rinse the scrub away, and pat dry with a towel.
To use as a body scrub: Cleanse skin as you normally would. While skin is still damp, scoop out scrub onto your fingertips and massage gently in small circles on the surface of the skin. Avoid scrubbing too hard so you don’t end up with raw, red skin. Rinse the skin with warm water, and pat dry with a towel. Note: The scrub will leave a lightly oiled residue on your skin. Enjoy the extra moisture, as you likely won’t need any extra lotion to moisture.
Read more about the potential ways avocado oil can benefit a beauty regimen on Mark's Daily Apple, the blog of Primal Kitchen founder Mark Sisson, in these articles:
- 9 Ways to Take Advantage of Avocado Oil's Skin and Hair Benefits
- 12 Surprising Things You Can Do with Avocado Oil