I'm a middle-of-the-road habitual morning coffee drinker. I don't need exotically sourced beans or expertly pulled espresso (although who wouldn't enjoy those luxuries occasionally?) and settle happily for medium to light roast beans purchased at my local grocery store that I grind at home. I particularly enjoy waking before anyone else in the house, sneaking downstairs, and brewing a pot of coffee that I can sip hot as I read my emails and get a head start on my work day before heading out for morning exercise. Most days that languid weekday morning routine doesn't happen, as I often try to head right out for an early morning run, or my son serves as my alarm clock and wakes me up before any morning "me" time can be had. Whenever I can drink it, I like my morning coffee hot—even if that means I have to warm it in the microwave a few times before I can sip to the bottom of the mug. I'll even drink it hot on a sultry summer morning because it feels like a sacred tradition broken if I opt for cold brew or iced coffee before having a hot cup of coffee.
I like my coffee strong, hot, and early, with only the rich swirl of half and half or almond milk creamer most mornings, but every once in a while, I like a coffee house-style splurge. And if I'm going to savor a spendy, tarted up drip coffee, I'm going for it. I'll often split the difference between a mug of full-fat dairy and some plant-based milk because I like to taste the coffee, rather than opt for a milkshake with coffee essence. Same sentiment when it comes to the sweetness of special coffee drinks—I'll dip a toe in the sugar pool but don't need to dive in all the way because, again, I want to taste the coffee.
This keto-friendly coffee drink delivers all of this. It blends your milk of choice (we used coconut), steamed, with hot drip coffee swirled with Primal Kitchen Snickerdoodle Collagen Fuel for a burst of cinnamon-sugar flavor. Top with real whipped cream, or coconut cream if you can't tolerate dairy, a couple pinches of ground cinnamon, and a swirl of keto-friendly caramel. Our Keto Snickerdoodle Caramel Coffee perches the angel and the devil on your shoulders, only for once they're in silent agreement that you should sip and savor this fancy, seductive coffee drink in peace.
Keto Snickerdoodle Caramel Coffee with Collagen
Time: 10 minutes
- 6 ounces water
- 2 Tbsp coffee grounds (we used Dope Coffee)
- 1/4 cup (2.16 ounces) milk of your choice
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream or coconut cream
- 1 scoop Primal Kitchen Snickerdoodle Collagen Fuel
- 2 Tbsp keto caramel*
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cinnamon stick, if desired
*Make your own keto caramel, or use a store-bought one.
- Use a 10- to 12-ounce mug for this recipe.
- You’ll need a stand mixer or handheld beaters to whip the cream.
- You’ll need a mason jar a French Press to steam the milk.
- Prepare coffee in a coffee maker, French press, or pour over coffee maker. While the coffee is brewing, steam the milk, and whip the cream.
To make whipped cream:
- Pour cream into stand mixer metal bowl fitted with the wire whisk attachment, or into a metal bowl with handheld beater whisks inserted into the cream.
- Turn the mixer to medium speed.
- Whip air into cream for about 3 minutes.
To make steamed milk:
- Mason jar + microwave method: Pour milk into a small mason jar, then screw the lid on tightly. Shake the jar (show it who’s boss) until the milk is frothy. Remove the lid and microwave the milk on medium-high power for 30 seconds. Remove milk and stir. Heat for another 15 seconds, then stir.
- French Press method: Heat milk either in the microwave or on the stove (140ºF is the right temperature, in case you’re measuring). Pour milk into a clean French Press and push plunger up and down repeatedly until the milk doubles in volume.
To assemble the coffee drink:
- Add 1 scoop of Primal Kitchen Snickerdoodle Collagen Fuel to the bottom of your large mug.
- Pour the hot coffee on top of the collagen.
- Use a fork to whisk the collagen into the coffee until well combined. Pour the steamed milk over the coffee.
- Top with whipped cream and keto caramel. Dust with ground cinnamon, and add a cinnamon stick, if desired.
Nutrition info (per serving):
Net Carbs: 5 grams
Fat: 15 grams
Protein: 11 grams
Nutrition info calculated using Cronometer. Nutrition info includes 1/4 cup unsweetened, full-fat coconut milk, 1/4 cup whipped heavy cream, and 2 Tbsp ChocZero’s Caramel Sugar-Free Syrup.