Today is Mark Sisson's birthday, and we're celebrating in the most decadent way possible--with an amazing chocolate cassava flour cake!
Without Mark, we wouldn’t know the joy of five-finger toe shoes, “big ass salads,” the victorious feeling of breaking up with chronic cardio, and everything that Mark’s Daily Apple and Primal Kitchen is today. We feel truly honored to work for such an innovator in the real-food and ancestral health space, so kick back and relax, Mr. Sisson, you deserve it!
Are you ready to dig in and celebrate with us? We know you'll take one bite of this cake and fall in love. Thank you Sadie Olsen, founder of Otto's Naturals, for this mouthwatering recipe!
GLUTEN-FREE CHOCOLATE CASSAVA CAKE
For the frosting...
- 1 cup organic non-hydrogenated palm shortening
- 1/2 cup Tin Star Foods Brown Butter Ghee
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1-2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Place all ingredients in a bowl and beat well with a hand blender.
For the cake...
- 360 grams OR 3 cups of Otto’s Cassava Flour (sift the flour well before measuring)
- 2 cups maple sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup Primal Kitchen® Avocado Oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups cold water or coffee
- In a large bowl, mix or whisk together the flour, salt, soda, and cocoa powder.
- Make three wells in the flour mixture. Pour the Primal Kitchen® Avocado Oil into the first well, vinegar into the second, and vanilla into the third. Begin to gently pull flour from the walls of the wells into the liquids.
- Pour cold water or coffee over everything, and stir the ingredients together until the mix is homogenous.
- Pour the mixture into a 9x14 baking pan or two 8” round pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes, or until you can poke a toothpick into the cake, and remove it cleanly.
- Allow the cake to cool, and then frost.