This might be the sneakiest method ever for getting in a good dose of winter veggies. Seriously! It's hard to believe there are beets in this deliciously rich chocolate cake. Made with raw cacao, coconut flour, cinnamon, and antioxidant-rich honey, Izabela Misiuk's Heavenly Chocolate Beet Cake tastes nothing short of divine.
Healthy eating doesn't have to be about sacrifice. You can have you cake and eat it too! Make this dish for birthday celebrations, holidays, and more. And of course, for more jaw dropping recipes, visit Izabela Misiuk at www.thriveinshanghai.com. Discover the magic of making incredible sweets from 100% primal ingredients!
About Izabela Misiuk
Izabela Misiuk is a Shanghai-based Certified Primal Health Coach, a Yogi, a Wellness Blogger, and the Founder of www.thriveinshanghai.com. Through her blog, Elizabeth provides her colleagues, clients, and readers with the information and tools to help them live a happier, healthier and more fulfilling life.
This September, Elizabeth started a degree in Applied Positive Psychology and Coaching Psychology to learn more scientifically validated approaches for better enhancing human health and wellness in all areas of life.
Three years ago, Elizabeth decided to change her diet, and transitioned from eating high-carb and highly processed meals to going Primal and eating whole foods. Plagued by constant migraines, digestive upsets, insomnia, colds, low energy levels, and a lack of concentration, Elizabeth knew she had to make a change. Since making the transition to primal eating, Elizabeth has found that she's been able to nourish her body in all the right ways. As a result of her healthy journey, Izabela restored her insulin sensitivity, treated her leaky gut, and overcame all the symptoms she'd been suffering from before.
The food Elizabeth cooks nowadays is gluten-free, vegetable oil-free and sugar-free…and it tastes scrumptious. When choosing ingredients for her meals, Elizabeth focuses on locally grown products. She cooks and bakes using coconut oil, real butter, ghee, and plenty of anti-inflammatory herbs and spices. Through the healing properties of food and a daily yoga practice, Elizabeth has changed the way she looks at food, stress, relationships, and exercise.
Sinisterly Heavenly Chocolate Beet Cake
- 3 medium beets
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- ½ cup Primal Kitchen® Avocado Oil
- 3 free-range eggs, at room temperature
- ½ cup raw honey
- 2 scoops Primal Kitchen® Chocolate Coconut Collagen Fuel
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Optional: 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Optional: 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- a pinch of sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (F).
- Wash and remove the stems of the beets.
- Place the beets on tin foil, wrap them tightly, and place them on a baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove the beets from the oven, unwrap them, and allow them to cool completely. Peel the skin from the beets, and slice them up.
- Preheat the oven to 340 degrees (F), and grease a glass baking dish (8x8).
- Add all the ingredients (including the beets) together in a food processor, and blitz until everything is fully mixed together.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish, and bake for 30 - 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the pan comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven, and leave it to cool for 30 minutes. Once the pan is chilled, generously cover the cake with chocolate ganache.
For the chocolate ganache (frosting)…
- 3 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup coconut cream or double cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons of unsweetened coconut flakes
- pinch of sea salt
- Combine the raw cocoa, heavy cream, vanilla extract, and butter in a small saucepan.
- Melt the ingredients together, stirring frequently until the mixture is smooth.
- Generously drizzle the sauce over the cake.
- Decorate with desiccated coconut.
For the whipped cream…
- 1 cup heavy cream (cold)
- 3 drops of vanilla extract (optional)
- Whisk the heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- Use to top the cake.