Keto & Whole30 Strawberry Chicken Salad
June 09, 2020
Some say that as you see more and more American flags billowing proudly as warm breezes sweep past front porches on Memorial Day that summer has "unofficially" begun. For eager epicureans and farmer's market shoppers, the appearance of plump scarlet strawberries bursting with sun-ripened syrupy sweetness signals the start of the sultry season.
We're celebrating strawberry season and the start of summer with one of our favorite strawberry recipes: strawberry chicken salad with mayo. Our version of chicken and strawberry salad is Whole30 friendly, keto, Primal and paleo, and includes just nine real-food ingredients and 10 minutes of meal prep (if using already-cooked chicken).
Want to learn how to make tasty, restaurant-style salads at home?
Get 7 days of FREE salad recipes, instructional videos, tips and tricks, downloadable bonuses, and more! Sign Up for the 7 Days, 7 Salads Challenge.
The two-ingredient dressing for this salad includes rich avocado oil mayo punctuated with the slight spice of mustard seed and vinegary burst from our new Dijon Mustard. The dressing cloaks chargrilled chicken cubes, sun-sweet ripe strawberries, punchy raw red onion, nutty toasted almond slices, snappy and clean celery cubes, and not-quite-ripe diced avocado in creaminess that allows the rich, sweet, savory flavors to hang out on the tongue. Whether devoured on a bed of refreshing mixed greens; in between gluten-free sandwich bread; in a cabbage or collard green swaddle; or in front of an open fridge while you cool off from the beating sun, spooning mouthfuls in a happy trance.
Strawberry Chicken Salad
Time: 10 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds (about 5 cups) grilled chicken breast or thighs, cooked
- 1 pint strawberries, washed, hulled, and sliced
- 1 avocado*, cubed
- 1/2 red onion, sliced into half moons
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup (heaping) Primal Kitchen Mayo with Avocado Oil
- 1/2 tablespoon Primal Kitchen Dijon Mustard
- 10 cups baby spinach or mixed lettuces (or both)
*Cook's tip: Use an avocado that's still firm to the touch. A very ripe avocado will be too mushy for this recipe.
- Place the first six ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Add mayo and mustard. Mix all of the ingredients together gently until well combined.
- Enjoy the strawberry chicken salad as is, or serve a large scoop of on top of 2 cups of fresh greens (we used a mixture of baby spinach and mixed lettuces).
Nutrition info (per serving):
Carbs: 11 grams
Fat: 36 grams
Protein: 33 grams
Nutrition information calculated using Cronometer.
You might also like these other salad recipes: