Not that an unctuous, lightly charred on the outside but succulent on the inside grass-fed beef burger needs much embellishment to be entirely satisfying, but we’re Americans (most of us), living in a country obsessed with dowsing nearly every edible morsel in ranch dressing. This simple Primal/paleo (and even keto) burger with butter lettuce, tomato, bacon, red onion, and avocado slices would be delightful topped with traditional ranch, but we can’t leave well enough alone. We love how the hickory, peppery notes compliment the herbaceous buttermilk flavor in our BBQ Ranch Dressing; topping this burger with this nuanced sauce highlights the smoky, salty flavor of the bacon scattered on top.
Primal BBQ Ranch Bacon Burger
Time: 30-35 minutes
- 1 ½ pounds organic grass-fed ground chuck (80 percent lean)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12-16 big leaves of butter lettuce 6 slices bacon, cooked until crisp, and crumbled
- ¼ red onion, sliced thinly
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 red-vine tomato, sliced
- Primal Kitchen BBQ Ranch Dressing
- Divide the meat into 4 equal portions, about 6 ounces each.
- Form each portion loosely into a ¾-inch thick burger. Press your thumb into the middle of each patty. Season both sides of each patty with salt and pepper.
- Next, cook the burgers.
- If cooking outside: Heat a gas grill to high, or heat coals in a charcoal grill until they glow bright orange and ash over. Brush the grill grate with a bit of Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil, or spray with Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil Spray.
- If cooking inside: Heat a cast iron skillet or large pan over medium-high heat until it starts to smoke slightly. Add 1 tablespoon Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil to the pan, and cook the burgers according to the directions listed below. Grill or cook the burgers until golden brown and slightly charred on the first side, about 3 minutes. Flip the burgers over and cook on the other side for 4 minutes for medium rare.
- For medium, cook the burgers on the second side for 5 minutes.
- For medium-well to well, cook the burgers on the second side for 6 minutes.
- Remove burgers from the grill or stove.
- For each plate, add: 1 burger on top of a few lettuce leaves. Pour 1 tablespoon Primal Kitchen BBQ Ranch Dressing, add a handful of crumbled bacon, avocado slices (about ¼ avocado per burger), onion slices, and two slices of tomato. Serve with more Primal Kitchen BBQ Ranch Dressing.
Nutritional information (per serving)*:
Carbs: 8.25 grams
Fat: 34.3 grams
Protein: 39 grams
*includes 2 tablespoons of Primal Kitchen BBQ Ranch Dressing.
Nutritional information calculated using Cronometer.
You might also like these other burger recipes: