Compared to the union of chocolate and peanut butter, the marriage of chocolate and mint may be a little less coveted by the masses, but it tickles the taste buds just as pleasantly. Cool, crisp and as zippy as the winter wind, mint enhances the richness and lightly bitter notes of dark chocolate. This harmonious flavor combo works exceptionally well to flavor ice cream, as the creamy, custard-like base creates the perfect pillowy bed for bold flavor marriages like mint and chocolate. Our no-dairy, keto-friendly ice cream recipe begins with a buttery, smooth fresh macadamia nut butter that’s made creamier with whole unsweetened coconut milk and more robust with pure vanilla and peppermint extracts. For that chunky, familiar texture of store-bought mint chocolate chip ice cream, we added chunks of our mint chip protein bars in place of the candy chocolate chip bits—the result is a cookie-like crumble that’s equal parts cocoa richness and minty freshness.
No-Dairy Keto Mint Chip Ice Cream
Time: 25 minutes
Note: Place the bowl of your ice cream maker in the freezer overnight the night before you want to make this ice cream.
- 1 cup macadamia nuts
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk, well combined
- 1 scoop Primal Kitchen Collagen Fuel Drink Mix - Vanilla Coconut
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 Primal Kitchen Chocolate Mint Chip Protein Bars
- Food processor
- Ice cream maker
- Dump macadamia nuts into a food processor. Pulse nuts until they resemble a smooth, spreadable consistency. Set macadamia nut butter aside in a separate bowl.
- Whisk coconut meat and liquid together in the can with a fork until it comes together into a smooth milk.
- Pour coconut milk into a liquid measuring cup with a pourable spot.
- Add 1 scoop Primal Kitchen Collagen Fuel Vanilla Coconut to the coconut milk. Add ¼ cup macadamia nut butter, vanilla, peppermint extract, and salt. Whisk ingredients together until well combined.
- Pour ice cream mixture into the very cold bowl of your ice cream maker. Turn ice cream maker on and let it churn for 15 minutes to thicken.
- Break mint chip protein bars into small, bite-sized pieces. Add protein bar chunks into the ice cream maker.
- Let the mixture churn until it’s as thick as you like it. This ice cream is best eaten right away. You can store it or any leftovers in the freezer, but the freshly churned ice cream has a creamy, semi-soft consistency of slightly melted ice cream.
Nutritional information (per serving):
Carbs: 8.5 grams
Net Carbs: 4.3 grams
Fat: 21 grams
Protein: 5.3 grams
Nutritional information calculated using Cronometer.
You might also like these other keto treat recipes: