Every cook, especially those who cook for families or lots of dinner guests, should have a trustworthy and simple stew recipe that they can make time and again and feel confident it will be a hit. Even if you’re cooking for one, stews are wonderful (perhaps even better) reheated the next day for lunch, and make great freezer-friendly meals you can portion and stash in freezer bags to have at the ready.
Once you get the cooking method down, you can switch up the ingredients in this stew to be anything you want or already have in your pantry or refrigerator. Try swapping out different cuts of meat—boneless lamb shoulder or pork butt—or substitute chicken bone broth or pork stock. Instead of carrots and potatoes, you could make a keto-friendly version with kohlrabi, mushrooms, zucchini, eggplant or cauliflower.
Instant Pot Beef Stew
Time: 1 hour, 51 minutes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 4-pound beef chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons Primal Kitchen Extra Virgin Avocado Oil
- 1 large white or yellow onion, diced
- 6 large carrots, peeled and sliced into 2-inch pieces
- 1 pound baby red potatoes, sliced in half or in quarters if large
- 3 cups beef bone broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- Season the roast evenly with salt and pepper.
- Turn the Instant Pot on to the Saute setting, and heat Primal Kitchen Extra Virgin Avocado Oil.
- Sear each side of the roast for 4 minutes.
- Add onion, carrots and potatoes to the pot. Pour in bone broth. Add herbs.
- Cook, sealed on Manual High Pressure, for 70 minutes. Let valve release naturally for 10 minutes. When the steam has finished releasing, unlock and remove the lid.
Nutrition info (per serving):
Carbs: 14 grams
Fat: 50 grams
Protein: 46 grams