Rosemary Sous Vide Steak
If you've been craving a perfectly cooked steak this holiday season, then we've got the recipe for you! Brought to you by Chef Steps, this recipe uses the sous vide cooking method, plus of few of our own minor ingredient enhancements, to bring you a juicy, herb-roasted and primally-prepared steak.
*NOTE: While we recommend using a sous vide precision cooker for this recipe, any stovetop burner, pot, and digital thermometer get you the results you're looking for.
What is sous vide?
Chefs around the world have made the sous vide cooking style famous. By combining ingredients in an enclosed container and submerging them in boiling water, you can cook your meal evenly and with maximum flavor, without worrying about overcooking any of it.
Of course, the quality of the meat you choose to cook with can make all the difference in your meal's flavor, taste, and nutrition. Primal Kitchen supports grass-fed, humanely raised, and antibiotic free meat. We love working with small companies that can deliver ethically-raised, nutrient-dense, and delicious cuts--especially Butcher Box!
Butcher Box proudly delivers some of the country's most high quality meats, including: grass-fed and grass-finished beef, rich and flavorful pasture-raised chicken, and heritage breed and hormone-free pork. Plus, they deliver their meat straight to your doorstep in an insulated box that's been carefully frozen and packaged to protect its precious cargo.
Order your Butcher Box today, and enjoy easy and free delivery, plus a huge range of curated recipes to try out and explore!
Rosemary Sous Vide Steak
- Primal Kitchen® Avocado Oil
- Butter or ghee
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- Black pepper
- Sea salt
- Set your sous vide to 133 degrees.
- Season both sides of the steak with a generous amount of salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Place your steak in a ziplock-style or sous vide bag. Add approximately two tablespoons of Primal Kitchen® Avocado Oil, plus a sprig of fresh bay leaf and a sprig of fresh rosemary.
- Place the sous vide bag into the preheated water, with the top of the bag hanging over the edge of the pot. Leave the top of the bag open to allow air to escape. Use a clip to attach the bag to the side of the pot. **NOTE: A one-inch-thick steak will be ready to serve in one hour. However, you can leave it submerged for up to an additional hour without overcooking it.
- Preheat a skillet over high heat, and add 2 teaspoons of butter. Once the butter has stopped bubbling, add the steak and a few fresh herbs for extra flavor.
- Move the steak around in the pan for roughly a minute or two on each side. If your steak is thinner than one inch thick, simply cook it for less.
- Once you get a nice crust on the steak, turn off the heat and place the steak on your desired serving platter.