Keto Breakfast Tacos with Spicy Ketchup
There’s just something about tacos. They’ve turned an otherwise hum-drum and overlooked day of the week into an international hasthag: #tacotuesday. These portable, versatile, tasty finger foods are all you need to kickstart some fun.
But, if you’ve gone keto, you may feel uninvited to the party. Sure, you can tumble taco fillings atop of a sturdy green leaf like romaine, radicchio, or cabbage, but have you considered cooked cheese? Forgo the grain-free tortillas and instead of topping your tacos with cheese, you can turn the shell into a gorgeously lacey, salty, and slightly crisp delivery system.
We decided to start the party early with these decadent but still keto-friendly breakfast tacos. Fluffy scrambled eggs, crisp and sugar-free bacon, bright pico de gallo, and fresh cilantro leaves are nestled into gooey cheese shells. Spritz with fresh lime juice, serve with sliced avocado wedges, and slather with our Primal Kitchen Spicy Ketchup sauce for a zesty flavor sensation.
Keto Breakfast Tacos with Spicy Ketchup Sauce
Time: 30 minutes
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- ¼ white onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 4 strips bacon
- 1 cup whole milk cheddar, jack cheese, or Mexican cheese blend, shredded
- Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil Spray
- 1 teaspoon Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small avocado, pitted and cut into cubes
- Fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Primal Kitchen Spicy Ketchup Sauce
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Make the pico de gallo: Place diced tomato, white onion, fresh lime juice, chopped cilantro, and ¼ teaspoon salt into a bowl. Stir until well combined. Set aside.
- Bake the bacon in the oven on a sheet pan at 400ºF for about 15 minutes or until crispy.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, spray skillet with Primal Kitchen Avocado Oil Spray. Place ⅓-cup of the shredded cheese into the skillet, making a 5-inch wide circle. Melt the cheese until the edges become golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Carefully flip the cheese with a spatula and allow to cook for 1 minute on the other side.
- Place a rolling pin or a wooden spoon wrapped about the width you want for one taco with parchment paper or a clean brown bag (and tied together) over a medium-sized mixing bowl. Gently remove cheese round from skillet with the spatula and drape it over the rolling pin positioned over the bowl.
- Repeat cooking steps with the rest of the cheese until you’ve made 3 cheese rounds.
- In the same skillet over medium-low heat, add a tablespoon of avocado oil.
- In a large bowl, crack open eggs. Pour in milk and add ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper. Whisk until fully combined. Pour eggs in skillet and allow to cook, stirring frequently, for 2-3 minutes or until eggs are fully scrambled.
- Place cheese taco shells onto a plate. Divide scrambled eggs evenly into 3 shells. Crumble bacon strips on top of eggs in each taco, and add tomato, avocado, and cilantro leaves. Spritz with lime wedges.
- Serve with Primal Kitchen Spicy Ketchup sauce.
- To make Primal Kitchen Spicy Ketchup sauce: Add 1/3 cup spicy ketchup and a tablespoon or two of white vinegar (or to taste) to a small bowl. Mix well, then serve.
A perfect pairing for breakfast tacos, scrambled eggs, or anything else you might slather with hot sauce, Primal Kitchen Spicy Ketchup is a fiery twist on our bestselling Organic Unsweetened Ketchup. Spiced up with jalapeño, our full-bodied Spicy Ketchup is free of high fructose corn syrup, honey, dates, and any other sweeteners.